Annual Report 2017-2018 - Hindustan University
Annual Report 2017-2018 - Hindustan University
NIRF ranked HITS between 101-150 National Institutional Ranking Framework Ministry of Human Resource Development Government of India AICTE Approved UGC One among five Institutions in India qualified for the QS Ranking. • Ranked No.1 in India among Best Technical Universities (Private) • Ranked No.2 among Top 5 Private Universities with Best Value for Money Accreditation & Ranking Graded as Category 2 Institute for Maintaining High Academic Standards by UGC. Association of Indian University (AIU) Accredited with ‘A’ Grade by NAAC
FOUNDER CHAIRMAN Dr. K.
C. G. VERGHESE (1940-2006) “TO MAKE EVERY MAN A SUCCESS & NO MAN A FAILURE.”
CONTENT PREFACE 6 ABOUT HITS 7 GOVERNANCE 8 Board of Management 8 Academic Council 9 Planning and Monitoring Board 10 Proceedings of Statutory Bodies 11 ACCOLADES 13 Awards & Rankings 13 Golden Jubilee Valedictory Celebration 15 INFRASTRUCTURE 16 New Additions 16 Infrastructure Added 17 Labs 17 Facilities 17 HUMAN RESOURCES 18 Pictorial Representation of Faculty & Department 18 Faculty Achievements 19 ACADEMICS 22 Programmes Offered 22 Admissions 25 Value Added Training Programmes 28 Placement /Training Programmes 31 Business Incubator and Entrepreneurship 32 Conferences/Seminars/Workshops 33 Conferences 33 Seminars 34 Workshops 35 Other Events 35 Events Attended 36 Research Colloquium 37 Convocation 38 Learning Resources 39 Digital Initiatives 39 Page
RESEARCH 40 Research Advisory Board 40 Research Promotion 41 Research Incentive Scheme 41 Award of Ph.D. & M.S. 41 Sponsored Research Projects 44 Consultancy 44 Publications 46 Patents 76 STUDENT ACHIEVEMENTS 77 Academics 77 Sports 80 NCC 84 NSS 85 CELEBRATIONS 86 INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL COLLABORATIONS 89 List of International Academic MoUs Singed during 2017-18 89 International Programmes at HITS 91 Staff Exchange Programmes 92 Student Exchange Programmes 93 International Visits by Faculty 95 Important Visitors to HITS 96 ALUMNI ACTIVITIES 98 Page
Annual Report 2017-2018 6 Page Preface The Annual Report for the academic year 2017-18 is a culmination of achievements both by the faculty, staff members and students.
I am happy that the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the Hindustan Group of Institutions was concluded with the Valedictory Function on 16 March 2016. There has been a striking improvement and significant increase in all domains of academic activities of Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science during the year. Sports and cultural accomplishments are no exceptional; as students have excelled remarkably in it brining more trophies and laurels to the institution.
HITS has obtained several rankings and certifications this year. To mention a few, certified with Grade A Accreditation from NAAC with 3.3 CGPA scale; and placed in Category 2 by MHRD; ranked No. 1 among Best Technical Universities (Private) in India, and No. 2 among Top 5 Private Universities with ‘Best Value for Money’ by India Today; NIRF Rankings 2018 placement of HITS in 101-150 band in the Overall Ranking of Institutions, 100-150 band among Universities, 100-150 band in Engineering and 75-100 band in Management; the first Institution in India to be certified by TUV Rheinland for successfully implementing 5S Work Place Management System.
There is a significant development in infrastructure and amenities with construction of state of the art labs, classrooms & seminar halls in Jubilee Block; modernization of labs & establishment of ‘Smart Class Rooms’; installation of yet another state of the art Flight Simulator, ALSIM AL250; establishment of modern conference hall in the School of Aeronautical Engineering; and lay out of football field using natural turf, in association with “Chennaiyin Football Club”, the champions of IFL, to train players, as well as host National & International tournaments. HITS has also launched OFO Cycles for the first time in India to promote eco-friendly travel environment.
HITS has signed 13 MoUs with foreign universities during the current year, aiming to scale up our academic excellence and establish partnership with global universities. In the academic arena the students have graduated with flying colours and bagged placements in several multinational companies and organizations across the globe. The staff and students have participated in several exchange programmes. In National/International Competitions, students have won 11 team event awards and 21 individual event awards. The importance extended to co-curricular and extra-curricular along with curricular activities has brought several laurels to the Institute.
These efforts of the Institute are bestowed with ‘The Great Patron of Sports and Games Award’ for the Vision, Infrastructure, appropriate process and personnel to promote Sports and Games among the youth in India (FICCI CASCADE). Students have won 19 Winner trophies and 11 Runner trophies in National/State level Intercollegiate Volleyball, Basketball, Football tournaments under Men and Women categories.On the cultural front, Kalaikoodaam, a South Inter Zone Youth Cultural Fest with representations from 31 universities and over 1600 participants; and Yarona 2018 were so popular showcasing the ethos of cultural diversity of India.
All accomplishments were possible only with the commitment of our faculty, staff and students alike and due to the able guidance and encouragement from the Management. I hope flipping through the pages of this report would give you a sense of fulfilment and also instill positive vibes to pursue excelling and setting records. Best wishes for the upcoming academic year! Dr. K.P. Isaac Vice Chancellor
Annual Report 2017-2018 7 Page Commenced in 1985, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science (HITS), a deemed to be University, is one of the most sought after institutions in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India offering a wide spectrum of Undergraduate (29), Postgraduate (34), Research and Doctoral Programmes in diverse fields of Engineering, Technology, Architecture, Management, Fashion, Arts and Design, Aviation, and Arts and Sciences.
The Institution is a part of prestigious Hindustan Group of Institutions which includes KCG College of Technology, Hindustan Arts and Science College, Hindustan International Schools, Hindustan First Grade College and Orient Flight Aviation Academy. This illustrious group caters to the academic needs of 15,000 students, facilitated by 2000 faculty members.
HITS has been in the forefront of academic innovation since inception. The motto of HITS is to lead by example; and has been meticulous in carrying out the changes to cater to all the stakeholders, in particular, the student community. The vision of the Founder Chairman Dr. K.C.G. Verghese “TO MAKE EVERY MAN A SUCCESS AND NO MAN A FAILURE” is the guiding principle behind all the transformations that are carried outat HITS. HITS is accredited with an “A” Grade by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC), Govt. of India; approved by AICTE; Placed in Category 2 institution by MHRD; Ranked No.1 in India among Best Technical Universities (Private), and No.2 among Top 5 Private Universities with Best Value for Money by India Today; awarded an overall 3Star Rating for Teaching, Employability, Innovation, Inclusiveness and Facility by QS Stars, Rated for Excellence; Ranked as No.
10 in Chennai among Private Universities in National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2017; and the first institution to be certified by TUV Rheinland for successfully implementing 5S Work Place Management System.
Highly qualified and competent faculty and excellent infrastructural facilities for curricular and extracurricular activities catering to the needs of students are additional advantages of HITS. The student community comprises of students from all over India and Overseas. The institution hosts 14 Centres of Excellence with sophisticated and advanced facilities for focused Research.The institution has established global collaborations with Institutes and Industries to promote Faculty & Student Exchange Programmes, Joint Research, Consultancy Projects, Conferences and Events.
HITS is renowned for its accomplishments in Sports.
World-class play courts over 15 acres designed exclusively for indoor and outdoor games, and recreational activity is worth mentioning. Besides, Y’s Men International, Round Table India, Rotary International, National Cadet Corps (NCC), National Service Scheme (NSS), Youth Red Cross (YRC), and Student Clubs are active all over the year. HITS is bestowed with Good Green Governance Award for the seventh consecutive time in recognition of environment friendly initiatives in its plush green campus. The institute ensures that highest standards of quality is implemented in all spheres to build a strong future for the student community and nation at large.
Annual Report 2017-2018 8 Page ADMINISTRATION Heads of Departments Research Academics Dr. Pon. Ramalingam Registrar Dr. G. Ilavazhagan Director-Research Dr. N. Vasudevan Dean-Academic Dr. Baby Joseph Dean, Research. Dr. D. Mohan Associate Dean, Research. Dr. A. Udhayakumar Controller of Examinations. Brig. (Rtd) Dr. Ravi Varman Dean, Administration. Mr. Salim Mahmood Deputy Director, Admissions & Administrations. Dr. David Easow Deputy Director, International Affairs. Mr. Milton Huggins Gerard Deputy Director, Corporate Affairs & Training. Dr.
B. Selvamuthukrishnan Director, Physical Education. Dr. Dilip A. Shah Aeronautical Engineering. Dr. Sheeba Chander Architecture. Dr. Jessy Rooby Civil Engineering. Dr. Aby K. Thomas Electronics & Communication Engineering. Dr. Ravikumar Solomon Mechanical Engineering. Board of Management Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese Chancellor Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese Pro-Chancellor Dr. Pon. Ramalingam Registrar Dr. K. P. Isaac Vice-Chancellor Dr. G. Ilavazhagan Director-Research Dr. N. Vasudevan Dean-Academic Mr. Ashok Verghese Director Dr. Aby Sam Director GOVERNANCE Dr. G. Ilavazhagan Director-Research Dr.
Baby Joseph Dean, Research. Dr. D. Mohan Associate Dean, Research. Dr. N. Vasudevan Dean-Academic Dr. A. Ramesh Babu Science & Humanities. Dr. A. Sherine Languages. Dr. V. Parthasarathy Physics.
Dr. M. Veerachamy Chief Librarian. Dr. K. Kamalakkannan Automobile Engineering. Dr. A. Anitha Chemical Engineering & Biotechnology. Dr. Rajeswari Mukesh Computing Sciences. Dr. Uppu Ramachandriah Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Dr. Gee Varghese School of Management. Dr. S. Velmurugan Mathematics. Dr. S. Induja Chemistry. Dr. F. Afrose Fathima Fashion, Design & Arts. Mr. B. Thirumaran Placement.
Annual Report 2017-2018 9 Page Academic Council Patron Chairperson Special Invitee Member Invitee Non Member & Secretary External Member Dr. (Mrs.) Elizabeth Verghese Chancellor Dr.
K.P. Isaac Vice Chancellor Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese Pro Chancellor Dr.G.Sambandan Advisor, KCG College of Technology Dr. Dharanipragada Janakiram Prof, Dept. of CSE, IIT Madras Dr. Xavier Alphonse Educationist &Former Member - UGC Dr. Karthik Krishnamurthy Director, Operations of the Aerostructures business, Mahindra Aerospace, Bangalore Mr. M.G. Poduval MD, MGP Associates Pvt. Ltd, Former National Secretary & National VP Indian Institution of Plant Engineers, Chennai Mr. Rajesh Renganathan Head, International Operations, Power Solutions Business, Ashok Leyland, Chennai Mr. Ashok Verghese Director Dr.
Aby Sam Director Prof. G. Ilavazhagan Director - Research Prof. A. Udhayakumar Controller of Examinations i/c. Prof. N. Vasudevan Dean (Academics) Prof. Baby Joseph Dean (Research) Brig. (Retd.) Dr. Ravi Varman Dean (Administration) Prof. D. Mohan Associate Dean (Research) Prof. Ramanujachari Chair Professor, CDTS Prof. A. .Ramesh Babu HOD (School of Science & Humanities) Prof. Jessy Rooby HOD, Civil Engg. Dr. Sheeba Chander HOD, Architecture Prof. Rajeswari Mukesh HOD, School of Computing Sciences Prof. Dilip A Shah HOD, Aeronautical Engg. Prof. Ravikumar Solomon HOD, Mechanical Engg. Prof.
K. Kamalakkannan HOD, Automobile Engg. Prof. Uppu Ramachandraiah HOD, EEE & EIE Prof. Aby K Thomas HOD, ECE Prof. Gee. Varghese HOD, SOM Prof. A. Anitha HOD, Chemical Engg. Prof. V. Parthasarathy HOD, Physics Prof. S. Induja HOD, Chemistry Prof. S. Velmurugan HOD, Mathematics Prof. A. Sherine HOD, Languages Prof. Afrose Fathima HOD, Fashion Design & Arts Prof. M. Veerachamy Chief Librarian Mr. Milton Gerard Huggins Deputy Director (Corporate Affairs & Training) Mr. Salim Mahmood Deputy Director (Admissions) Prof. C. Robin Legal Advisor Prof. V. Paramasivam Professor (Emeritus) Prof. R. Devanathan Professor (Emeritus) Prof.
K.M. Mehata Sr. Professor (CSE) Prof. D. Dinakaran Group Lead, Centre for Robotics & Automation Dr. Pon. Ramalingam Registrar
Annual Report 2017-2018 10 Page Planning and Monitoring Board Prof. K. V. Thomas Member of Parliament Patron Dr. Kuncheria P. Isaac Vice-Chancellor Chairperson Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese Pro Chancellor Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Mr. Ashok Verghese Director Director Dr. Aby Sam Dr. M.P. Poonia Vice-Chairman, All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi. UGC Nominee Dr. G. Prabhakaran Principal, KCG College of Technology, Karapakkam External Member External Member Dr. A.M. Moorthy Former Vice-Chancellor Tamilnadu Physical Education and Sports University, Chennai Dr.
A. Udhayakumar Controller of Examinations i/c. Dr. N. Vasudevan Brig (Retd.) Dr. Ravi Varman Dr. Baby Joseph Mr. K.M. Mathews Mr. R. Subramanian Mr. B. Thirumaran Prof. C. Robin Ms. Nasreen Banu Dr. Pon.Ramalingam Dean (Academics) Dean (Research) Dean (Administration) Chief HR Officer Additional Finance Manager Head, Placement Legal Advisor Finance Controller Registrar Special Invitee Special Invitee Member Secretary
Annual Report 2017-2018 11 Page Proceedings of Statutory Bodies NO. PARTICULARS DATE 1. 18th Board of Management Meeting 07 October 2017 2. 11th Finance Committee Meeting 27 November 2017 3. 23rd Academic Council Meeting 20 January 2018 4. 9th Planning and Monitoring Board Meeting 28 March 2018 5. 24th Academic Council Meeting 30 May 2018 6. 12th Finance Committee Meeting 31 May 2018 • The Board of Management approved the award of 1217 UG/PG/M.Phil & Ph.D. degrees and 48 UG and PG degrees for arrear batch students. • 8th Convocation of HITS was held on 7 October 2017 in which Honoris Causa Awards were conferred on, Dr.
S. Christopher, Secretary, Dept. Of Defence (R&D) & Chairman, DRDO; Mr. Mecca Rafeeque Ahmed, Chairperson, Fareeda Group of Companies; Mr. Alex Jacob, Managing Director and Senior Structural Engineer, United Consultants; and Mr. Narain Karthikeyan, International F1 Racing Driver.
18th Board of Management Meeting: 11th Finance Committee Meeting: 23rd Academic Council Meeting: • Approvedtheminutesofthefeefixationcommittee meeting held on 27 November 2017 and circulated to the members. • Audited financial statement summary for 2016- 2017 was presented before11th FCM. • It was informed that the total expenditure for the research promotion will be 10% of the budget, of the expenditures related to the conduct of National/International Conferences, minor projects sponsored by the Management. • The Minutes of the 23rd Academic Council Meeting held on 20 January 2018 was presented and confirmed by the Academic Council.
• Revision of Number of Credits for all UG and PG courses as per AICTE norms with effect from 2018-2019.
• Introduction of new programme namely MBA (FinancialMarkets),incollaborationwithNational Stock Exchange. • Introduction of B.Des (InteriorDesign) and B.Des. (Apparel and Fashion Design) from 2018-2019. 9th Planning and Monitoring Board Meeting: • Theinstitutionshouldsponsormorestaffmembers to participate in the exchange programmes with Foreign Universities. • The Staff members shall be motivated by the International Affairs Office/Research Office to pursue Ph.D./PDF programmes with reputed foreign universities.
• Initiative shall be taken to sign more active MoUs with more foreign universities to strengthen joint research programmes.
• It was informed that the institution has signed a Network Partnership Agreement with World Technology Universities Network at University of Bradford in September 2016. Only two institutions from India have signed this agreement and HITS is the only private institution from India. This will enable the institution to share sources, knowledge, training expertise and research output with the world class partner universities. • The UGC Nominee suggested that the faculty membersnominatedfortheexchangeprogrammes should know the purpose and expected outcome of the faculty exchange programmes. There should be a tangible outcome and benefit to the institution since substantial resources are spent by the institution for sponsoring exchange programmes.
Annual Report 2017-2018 12 Page 24th Academic Council Meeting: • The Minutes of the 24th Academic Council Meeting held on 30th May 2018 was presented and confirmed by the Academic Council. • It was informed that The UGC-AICTE Joint Review Committee visited HITS in September 2017 and gave an excellent report and approval for the renewal of Deemed to be University status. • It was informed that the institution has improved in NIRF Rankings this year compared to the last year. The institution should achieve NIRF Ranking within 100 under the overall and Engineering Categories during 2019. The Chancellor hoped that the institution will achieve its greater heights in coming days under the leadership of new Vice- Chancellor Dr.
• Overall result statistics of the end semester examinations for the last three years was analyzed and discussed. • A new ERP is to be implemented from the academic year 2018-19. • It was suggested that the focus should be given on project based learning, industrial training, Research Projects, MOOC courses and Startup/ Entrepreneurship at UG level. • The Dean-Academics presented the Minutes of the 23rd Academic Council Meeting held on 20th January 2018 and the Academic Council confirmed the Minutes of the Meeting. • The Action Taken Report on the Minutes of 23rd Academic Council Meeting held on 20th January 2018 was confirmed.
• It was informed that the subject “Programming in C and Python” in first semester should be replaced with “Problem Solving in C Programme”. • The pre-requisites to be specified for choosing Department and Non Department Electives was discussed. 12th Finance Committee Meeting: • The minutes of the fee fixation committee meeting held on 31st May 2018, circulated to the members was approved. • It was suggested that creating infrastructure to cater to the needs of 10,000 students was discussed and submitted for approval.
• The suggestions for improving NIRF rankings within first 100 rankings, achieving a score of 3.5 in NAAC and NBA Accreditation for all eligible programmes were discussed.
• The need for effective industry collaborations, research and consultancy was suggested in the minutes. • The suggestions to show research and lab equipment in Capital Expenditure under the head “Research/Lab Equipment” instead of “Revenue Expenditure” was discussed. • The budget presented for 2018-19 have been approved with changes suggested. The revised Budget as per discussion held in 12th Finance Committee meeting will be made by the Finance Controller/Secretary.
• The details of Scholarships paid during the academic year 2017-18 was discussed. • It was suggested that funds to be generated through the Alumni and Industry involvement to meet the infrastructure requirements. Initiatives should be taken by the HoDs and Professors in this regard and we can dedicate the facility created by Alumni/Industry in their names. • The Pro-Chancellor requested the Dean- Academics to analyze the strength and weaknesses of the Institution in each category in the last NIRF Rankings and submit a report within a week. • Audited financial statement summary for 2017- 2018 was presented before 12th FCM.
• To introduce teaching pedagogy training for three months to the M.Tech students. This will considerably help the students to seek job opportunities in teaching profession. • It was suggested to create a Career Development Centre for training the students for placement right from the first semester onwards. This centre shouldhaveexpertstoteachsoftskills,quantitative aptitude, reasoning, verbal and personality development. • It was suggested to introduce M.Tech. Sports Technology in the institution as the government is offering financial assistance upto 70% for procuringsportsinstruments.Itwasalsosuggested that sports technology can also be included as an Elective paper.
Annual Report 2017-2018 13 Page ACCOLADES Election of Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese, Pro Chancellor, HITS as Chairmanof the Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI), Chennai Branch on 4th August 2017. Dr. K. P. Isaac, Vice Chancellor received Sangama Grama Madhava Award from Govt. & Aided Polytechnic College Teaching Staff Association, Kerala on 17th March 2018. Mr.AshokVerghese, Director, HITS with ‘Best Institute Award for Promoting Global Exposure’ Mr. AshokVerghese receiving Best Education Brand Awards Mr.AshokVerghese, and faculty members with “Best Accredited Student Branch Award” from Computer Society of India.
Faculty Members with Best Cyber Security Education Institution Award of the Year in NASSCOM-DSCI Excellence Awards 2017. Awards are affirmation of sincere efforts that have reached target successfully. They act as an appreciation note to its recipients giving them satisfaction and also fostering them to crave for more. Awards & Rankings
Annual Report 2017-2018 14 Page • NIRF Rankings 2018 placed HITS in 101-150 band in the overall Ranking of Institutions, 100- 150 band among Universities, 100-150 band in Engineering, and 75-100 band in Management. • 5S Certified by TUV Rheinland for successfully implementing 5S Work Place Management System.
HITS is the first Institution in India to receive this award. • Awarded the prestigious National Education Excellence Awards 2018 under “Best Institute Providing Global Exposure” and “Best B-School for Promoting Industry-Academia Interface” categories during 11th ASSOCHAM Higher Education Summit 2018 on 17th February 2018. • Ranked 41st among All India Top Engineering Institutes, and 26th position among Top Private Engineering Institutes in TIMES Engineering Institute Ranking Survey 2017.
• Best Institutional Award by Institution of Engineers (India), Tamil Nadu. • Best Cyber Security Education Institution Award of the Year 2017 by Data Security Council of India (DSCI)– NASSCOM Excellence Awards. • “Best Accredited Student Branch Award” from Computer Society of India. • The School of Architecture won the Conventional Trophy in ZONASA 2017 on 10th November 2017. • The School of Management obtained AAA Rating in India’s B-School Rating 2018 conducted by Careers 360 Magazine.
• The School of Management secured 116th position at the National level in the Week Best-B School 2017.
• Awarded “Shield” for mobilizing over 500 Blood Donors during 2016-17 by the Madras Voluntary Blood Bureau. • TheUGC–AICTE Joint Review Committee visited HITS between 14th and 16th September 2017 and gave report of approval for the renewal of Deemed to be University Status of HITS.
Annual Report 2017-2018 15 Page His Grace The Mr. Ashok Verghese, Director HGI; Most Rev Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma; Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Verghese, Chairperson, HGI; Shri. Banwarilal Purohit, Hon’ble Governor of Tamil Nadu; Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon’ble Vice President of India; Shri. D. Jayakumar, Hon’ble Minister for Fisheries, Personnel and Administrative Reforms Govt. of Tamil Nadu; Shri. Bharat Joshi, Deputy High Commissioner, British Deputy High Commission, Chennai; Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese, Director & CEO, HGI; Dr. Aby Sam, Director, HGI Hindustan Group of Institutions celebrated its Golden Jubilee year’s Valedictory Function on 16th March 2018 at Hotel Le Royal Meridien, Chennai.
The function was presided by Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Hon’ble Vice President of India; Shri. Banwarilal Purohit, Hon’ble Governor of Tamil Nadu; Shri. Bharat Joshi, Deputy High Commissioner, British Deputy High Commission, Chennai; Shri. D. Jayakumar, Hon’ble Minister for Fisheries, Personnel and Administrative Reforms Govt. of Tamil Nadu; His Grace The Most Rev Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma; and other eminent personalities. They aptly commemorated the legacy of the group built over 5 decades in providing education for the Nation. Mr. Naidu said, “Educational institutions must compete with global varsities and train students in the best way possible so as to compete in the quest for knowledge and emerge victoriously.
He also added that we must abandon colonial mind-set and try rather to be multilingual; yet never forget one’s mother tongue.” Rev Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma shared his reminiscence of Dr. KCG Verghese, who was a pioneer in the field of technical education. He also marvelled about the Founder’s philanthropic touch to reach the underprivileged and make education common to all. In her address, HGI Chairperson Dr. Elizabeth Verghese said the occasion was an opportunity to renew and strengthen the late Founder KCG Verghese’s vision of ‘Making Every Man a Success and No Man a Failure” and it is a matter of pride that HGI has accomplished 50 years of excellence in education.
The HGI Golden Jubilee Souvenir was released by Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu. The souvenir records a culmination of notable 50 years of accomplishments. Dr. Anand Jacob Verghese, Pro Chancellor, HGI, proposed the Vote of Thanks. GOLDEN JUBILEE VALEDICTORY CELEBRATION
Annual Report 2017-2018 16 Page INFRASTRUCTURE • Inauguration of BOSCH Joint Training Centre on 25th October 2017. • Establishment of Centre for Higher Education Leadership and Management (HELM) on 12th July 2017. • Construction of Parabola. • Launch of OFO Cycles. • Unveil of Hyperloop Orcapod on 12th March 2018. • Addition of ALSIM AL250. Inauguration of BOSCH JointTraining Centre. Establishment of Centre for Higher Education Leadership and Management (HELM). The University is situated in an enthralling Arcadian ambience; spread over a hundred acres of lush green landscape, with impressive stately buildings whose design features an integrated approach to environmental sustainability.
Overall built up area is about ten lakh square feet. The Bay Range campus consists of dedicated blocks for academic pursuits with state of the art labs, seminar halls, smart class rooms, lecture theatres, central library, auditorium etc. Other facilities include modern hostels with vibrant living space, well equipped gym, play fields, multi cuisine canteens, guest houses, shopping complex, bank etc. The atmosphere is conducive for developing close social and academic networks during the stay in the University. Other essential eco-friendly aspects incorporated are a sewage treatment plant, solar power generation system, centralized RO plant for providing hygienic drinking water and a plastic free campus.
The infrastructure is added every year to cater for the enhanced strength of students and to meet the technological demands necessitated for effective teaching- learning process, which is a dynamic process.
Inkeepingwithourcommitmenttocontinuous,aneed-basedenhancementofinfrastructu reandmodernization of facilities, the Management has added new hi-tech Academic Buildings to house classrooms, labs, and hostels. Further, existing facilities have been upgraded to meet the emerging needs of students in the global education al environment. New Additions
Annual Report 2017-2018 17 Page Infrastructure Added Laboratories Inauguration of Jubilee Block–Research and Innovation Centre by Shri. M. Venkiah Naidu, Hon’ble Vice President of India, 16th March 2018. Jupiter Hostel for boys, to cater for multiple needs of students’ under one roof, is one of the ‘star attractions’ towards enriching the campus life.
While Phase -1, accommodates 450 students, Phase -2 intends to house over 2000 inmates. Inauguration of Aryton Senna-Motorsports hub by Padma Shri. Narain Karthikeyan, F1 Racer.
• Computer Lab in Edison Centre on 6th December 2017. • Louis Pasteur Lab on 29th March 2018. • Richard Feynman Lab on 29th March 2018. • Edward David Lab on 29th March 2018. • Modernization of Staff rooms and Class rooms in Building Science Block. • Addition of 7 buses to the existing transport. • Inclusion of 150 bicycles to the existing 200 bicycles to promote green campus concept. • RO plants established in all hostels. • Lay out of football field using natural turf, in association with “Chennaiyin Football Club”, the champions of IFL, to train players, as well as host National & International tournaments.
Annual Report 2017-2018 18 Page Aeronautical Engineering Architecture Automobile Engineering Chemical Engineering Civil Engineering Computer Science and Engineering Electronics and Communication Engineering Electrical and Electronics Engineering Mechanical Engineering Chemistry Languages Mathematics Fahion, Designe & Arts CENCON Library Science & Physicial Education Physics MBA Information Technology MCA Electronic and Information Engineering HUMAN RESOURCES Pictorial Representation of Faculty 58 54 34 14 32 41 35 23 58 11 21 27 09 08 03 08 41 11 13 13 School of Aeronautical Sciences School of Architecture School of Building Sciences School of Computing Sciences School of Electrical Sciences School of Mechanical Sciences Science and Humanities School of Managment A total of 89 Technical Staff, 10 Secretaries, and 15 Lab Assistants comprise the Non Teaching Staff, Administrative and other Supporting Staff of HITS fraternity.
Annual Report 2017-2018 19 Page Faculty Achievements • Dr. R. Asokan, Professor, was elected as Honorary Secretary of Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI), Chennai branch on 4thAugust 2017. • Dr. Dilip A Shah, Professor is serving as Editorial Board member of Journal of Aerospace Engineering and Technology; and Advisory Committee Member of ISRASE. • Mr. C.S. Karunakaran is serving as EC Member, Member-Branch News Paper Board and Member- Student Development Board of Aeronautical Society of India, Chennai Branch; and Honorary Secretary of Institute of Aeronautics Astronautics and Aviation.
Champion, Club Officer Leadership Training, SAEISS.
• Dr. J. Ashok Babu, Professor; Dr. K. Ramajayathilagam, Sr. Professor; and Mr. G. Dinesh Kumar, Assistant Professor; Mr. Suresh, Assistant Professor; Mr. Gowrishankar, Assistant Professor; Mr. Rajesh, Assistant Professor; and Mr. C. S. Karunakaran, Assistant Professor were selected as EC Member of AeSI Chennai Branch on 4th August 2017. • Mr. C. S. Karunakaran, Assistant Professor, was awarded for his “Asia’s First Flying Bike” in an International Two Wheeler Conference organized by SAEINDIA on 5th August 2017 at PES University, Bangalore.
• International Seminar on “Space Odyssey–II” was organized on 19th July 2017.
Mr. Mikhail Kornienco, Russian Cosmonaut and International Space Station Flight Engineer was the Chief Speaker. • Mr. C.S. Karunakaran, Assistant Professor was awarded for his Extraordinary Contribution for Aerospace Sector” by International Excellence Award on 7th December 2017 at Hotel Ramada Plaza, Chennai. • Mr. Dinesh Kumar, Assistant Professor, got “Certificate of Achievement” from “Cubes in Space” NASA for mentoring Students to fabricate 3-D printed satellite.
• Dr. K. Kamalakkannan, Professor and HoD was selected for “SAE Outstanding Faculty Advisors Award” on 11th March 2018, in SAE WCX18, Detroit, Michigan, USA. • Dr. M. Jaikumar, Assoc. Professor obtained “Best Teacher Award” for the year 2017. • Dr. S. Ravindran, Professor, has been recognized by Times of India and Dinamalar for “Finding a Thin Flexible Plastic Material for Making Umbrellas and Protective Raincoats.” • Dr. S. Ravindran obtained “Lifetime Achievement in Engineering-Specialization-Industrial Safety” award organized by Centre for Advanced Research and Design, Venus International Faculty Awards VIFA 2017 on 8th July 2017.
• Mr. B. Prabakaran, Assistant Professor; Mr. E. Sangeethkumar, Assistant Professor; and Mr. M. Hemakumar, Assistant Professor obtained Attendance Award for the year 2017. • Ms. M. Chandrakala, Assistant Professor, received “5S Award” during the Republic Day celebrations, 2017. • Ms. K. Kiruthiga, Assistant Professor, received “Effective and Best Contribution for Unifest Award-2017” during the Republic Day celebrations. • Dr. D. Sathya Seeli received “Encouragement Award” during the University Day Celebrations on 6th April 2018.
AERO AUTO CHEMISTRY PHYSICS • Dr. P. Mani, Professor, received the prestigious “Indian Spectro Physics Association (ISPA) Gunasekaran Award 2018” at the CSIR Sponsored International conference on “Advances in Materials Science and Engineering for Societal Applications (ICAMSE-2018) held at Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET), Chennai, India for his sustained scientific research works on 2ndMarch 2018.
Annual Report 2017-2018 20 Page • Dr. V. Preethi, Associate Professor received“Young Researcher Award” from Hindustan Alumni Association, HCE `92 Batch Annual Awards on 5thAugust 2017. • Dr. V. Preethi, won a Bronze Medal, Certificate, and Memento in Young Faculty in Engineering Competition conducted by Venus International Foundation(VIFA) during the Contemporary Academic Meet- CAM2017 on 8thJuly2017. • Dr. V. Preethi, Associate Professor visited University of Melbourne, La Trobe University, Deakin University, Australia for research collaboration on 24th & 25th July 2017. • Mr. J. Samuel, Assistant Professor visited Oxford Brookes University and delivered a presentation on “Analysis of Cold Formed Steel Members” on 8th September 2017.
• Dr. J. Thangakumar, Associate Professor, Mr. S. Ravi, Assistant Professor, and Mr. M. Sambath, Assistant Professor received “Inspire Faculty Award” from Infosys for the year 2017-18. • Mr. S. K. Shankar, Assistant Professor received the ‘IET-CLN Men Engineering Award” for the year 2017-18 on 7th October 2017 from IET-CLN. • Dr. J. Thangakumar received the “Best Faculty of the Year Award 2017-18” from Computer Society of India on 10thFebruary 2018. • Dr. Uppu Ramachandraiah, Professor, got CertificationofAppreciationbyTexasInstruments for mentoring projects in Indian Design Contest. • Dr.
A. K. Parvathy, Professor, received “Excellence in R&D Award” from Entrepreneurs Council of India during Girl Power Summit on 11thMarch 2018.
• Dr. R. Devanathan, Professor, is appointed as Chairman of Teller Committee, IEEE Madras Section Elections, in Jan. 2018. • Royal Academy of Engineering had approved the project entitled “Optimal Dispatch of Virtual Power Plant using Cyber-Physical Controller for Real-Time EMS” at a cost of Rs. 45.12 lakhs for 2 years to Dr. A. K. Parvathy and Dr. K. R. Devabalaji. • Dr. A.K. Parvathy visited Yildiz Technical University, Turkey from 23rd to 27thOctober 2017 on Erasmus Staff Mobility Programme to encourage research and academic collaboration between the Yildiz Technical University and HITS.
• Dr. A. K. Parvathy visited Naresuan University, Thailand for delivering Invited Lectures on Renewable Energy from 2nd to 6thApril 2018. • Dr. R. Devanathan gave Invited talk on “Electromagnetic & Electrostatic Study in High Voltage Switchyard” at COMSOL, Bangalore on 8th June 2017.
• Patent was granted on “An Apparatus Capable of Automatically Reducing the Speed of the Automobile within a Pre-determined Controlled Speed Zone” by Dr. G. Muthukumaran in 2017. • Dr. Smiley’s Dental Hospital provided constancy project entitled “Development of Flow Controlled Injection System” to Dr. Uppu Ramachandraiah in 2017. • Project tiled “Pipe Cleaning Robot” under the guidance of Mrs. Getzial Anbumani Qualified for Pals Innovation Challenge–PALS Innowah finale, organized by IIT Alumni, 2018.
• Dr. Vallikannu A. L., Associate Professor, received “Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for Innovative Research” on 16th March 2018, Coimbatore.
CIVIL CSE ECE EEE
Annual Report 2017-2018 21 Page FASHION, DESIGN AND ARTS • Dr. Afrose Fathima F. HoD attended “World Toilet Summit-2017” at Melbourne, Australia on 20th and 21st November 2017. She also visited Fashions School like RMIT and The Masters Institute of Creative Education at Melbourne. • Dr. Afrose Fathima attended an International Conference at New Delhi organized by the NIFT between 31st January and 2nd February 2018. • Dr. V. Ceronmani Sharmila, Associate Professor received the “Best Cyber Security Education Institution Award” for the year 2017 from the Data Security Council of India (DSCI).
• Dr. K. Ramesh Kumar, Professor and HoD won “Infosys Teaching Excellence Award” on 23rd March 2018.
• Dr. V. Ceronmani Sharmila, Head- Centre for Networking and Cyber Defence, Associate Professor, has received the Best Faculty of the year 2017 in Evangelizing and Contributing to Spread of knowledge across Several Institutions during the 2-day Annual Academic Conference and awards for Academia "Tech Next India 2018" on 10th & 11th February 2018, at the Victor Menezes Convention Centre, IIT Bombay, Powai. • Mr. B. V. Baiju, Assistant Professor received the “Best Faculty Award” for the academic year 2017- 18.
• Mr. B. Dwarakanath, Assistant Professor received 5S Implementation award on 26 January 2018.
• Mr. D.Karunanidhi, Assistant Professor, received the “Best Faculty Information Technology- Identity Management Award” for the year 2017 from Integrated Intelligent Research Group on 18th January 2018 at Loyola College, Chennai. • Dr.Sherine, Head, Languages received the New Indian Express, “Edex Best Teacher Award” on 3rd June 2017. She received the Encouragement award on University Day held on 6th April 2018 for publishing 50 Years Souvenir and four Newsletters pertaining to Kalaikoodam, a South Fest Inter University event held between 18th and 22nd December 2017.
• Dr. Raji Dhinakar, Associate Professor received “Best Teacher Award”on University Day. • Dr. Raji Dhinakar, cleared NPTEL Online Certification Course in November 2017. • Dr. K. Loganathan, Assistant Professor received “Encouragement Award” on University Day for achieving Doctorate Degree. • Dr. Sophia Florence, Research Scholar of Dr. Akkara Sherine, Languages received her doctorate degree during the Convocation 2017. • Dr. R. Srikanth, Professor was awarded the “Best Departmental Head” by Seed Trust in association with IIT Madras.
• Dr. M.K. Badrinarayanan, Professor has been sanctioned an entrepreneurship training project under PM YUVA Yojana.
• Dr. T. Manvel Raj, Professor, received “Educational Leadership Award”, at Indo-Global Education Summit & Expo 2017 on 22nd of July 2017. • Mr. K. Viswanathan, Associate Professor acted as Committee Member/Auditee to support Swachhata Rankings of Higher Educational Institutions Audit by AICTE Member, Dr. K. Sentil Vadivu, on 24th August 2017. • Dr.D.Dinakaran,Professor;Mr.P.RameshKumar, Assistant Professor; and Mr. A. Vinoth Kumar, Assistant Professor, were sanctioned a research project titled “Development of Ultra Response Gas Purging System”, from Microwave Tube Research and Development Center, Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), worth Rs.
9.8 lakhs, during September 2017 IT LANGUAGES MECHANICAL SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
Annual Report 2017-2018 22 Page ACADEMICS Programmes Offered HITS currently offers several programmes (UG, PG) and Research Programmes (M.Phil, Ph.D.) in Engineering and Technology, Management Science, Computer Applications, Architecture, Science & Humanities, Commerce, and Fashion, Design and Arts. The list of programmes is given below: UG Programmes Offered PG Programmes Offered General(Core) Specialization (Pathways) General(Core) Specialization (Pathways) School of Aeronautical Sciences School of Mechanical Sciences School ofElectrical Sciences B.Tech • Aeronautical Engineering • Aerospace Engineering B.Tech General (Core) • Mechanical Engineering • Mechatronics Engineering • Automobile Engineering • Chemical Engineering B.Tech General(Core) • Electrical & Electronics Engineering • Electronics & Communication Engineering M.Tech • Aeronautical Engineering • Avionics • Aircraft Maintenance Engineering M.Tech General (Core) • Thermal Engineering • Engineering Design • Refrigeration and Air-conditioning • ComputerAided Design • Internal Combustion • Automobile Engineering • Chemical Engineering M.Tech General (Core) • Power Electronics & Drives • VLSI Design Communication Systems • Applied Electronics Composites UAV NDT
Annual Report 2017-2018 23 Page • BSc. Aircraft Maintenance Engineering • BSc. Avionics • BSc. Fashion Design • BCA • M.Sc - Chemistry • M.Sc - Material Science MLIS • M.A. - English Language & Communication School of Computing Sciences General (Core) Specialization (Pathways) Computer Science & Engineering Information Technology Cyber Security General (Core) • Architecture (B.Arch) • Civil Engineering General (Core) Specialization (Pathways) • Computer Science & Engineering • Software Engineering • Computer & Communication Engineering Information Technology • Master of Computer Applications • BigData Analysis Cloud • Internet Engineering • Data Science & Engineering • Pervasive Computing • Business Analytics • Ethical Hacking • Social Networking General (Core) Specialization (Pathways) • Structural Engineering • Environmental Engineering • Housing • M.Plan • Construction Engineering & Management • Highway Engineering B.Tech B.Tech M.Tech M.Tech School of Building Sciences School of Science and Humanities UG PG
Annual Report 2017-2018 24 Page General (Core) Specialization (Pathways) BBA • General • Travel & Tourism Aviation B.Com • General • Bank Management School of Management UG PG General (Core) Specialization (Pathways) MBA • General • Aviation Management • Automobile Dealership Management • Family Business & Enterpreneurship • Media & Entertainment • Hospitality Management • Hospital and Health Care • Defence Technology Management • Logistics & Supplychain Management • Sports Management
Annual Report 2017-2018 25 Page Admissions Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science admissions ardently follow the philosophy of the Late Founder-Chairman Dr.
K.C.G. Verghese “To Make Every man a Success and No Man a Failure”. The Institution caters to the educational needs of students from all strata of the society and is renowned for an eclectic background with mixture of cultures of National and International repute. HITS nurtures talent in form of admitting students who excel in the academics and sports by giving scholarships to the deserved. 1895 UG students and 219 PG students were admitted for this academic year which is comparatively better than the last academic year admission of 1484 UG and 167 PG students. UG and Diploma Admission Details (2017-18) No.
Branch Department 2017-2018 BATCH I YEAR/I SEM Total 1. Aeronautical Engg. Aeronautical 307 2. Aerospace Engg. 107 3. Aero–Avionics 8 4. Automobile Engg. Auto 97 5. AutoMotor Sports 4 6. Autotronics 3 7. Advanced Dip in Autotronics (Jan15to June16) 8. Civil Engg. Civil 9. Civil Engg. (CEM) 51 10. Civil Engg. (EE&WR) 1 11. Civil Engg. (Structural) 12. Civil Integrated 13. Computer Science & Engg. CSE 259 14. Computer Science & Engg. IBM 15. Computer Science & Engg. (IS) 12 16. Computer Science & Engg. (EIS) 17. Computer Science & Engg. (DES) 18. Electrical & Electronics Engg. EEE 38 19. B.Tech.
ECE (Evening) ECE 20. Electronics & Communication Engg. 172 21. Electronics & Communication Engg. (Bio-Medical) 7 22. Electronics & Instrumentation Engg. EIE 23. EIE (Robotics & Control) 24. EIE (Industrial Automation) 25. B.Tech. Mechanical (Evening) Mechanical 26. Mechanical Engg. 198 27. Mechatronics 60 28. Mechanical (Engg. Design)
Annual Report 2017-2018 26 Page PG Admission Details (2017-18) No. Branch Department 2017-2018 I YEAR/I SEM Total No. Branch Department 2017-2018 I YEAR/I SEM Total 1. M.Tech. (Aero) Aeronautical 10 2. M.Tech. (Avionics) 1 3. M.Tech. (Avionics-UAV) 1 4. M.Tech. (Aero-Composites) 0 5. M.Tech. (Aircraft Maintenance Engg.) 5 6. M.Tech. (Aircraft Maintenance Engineering-NDT) 0 7. M.Tech. (Auto) Automobile 23 8. M.Tech. (I.C Engineering) 0 29. Information Technology IT 51 30. Information Technology (Cloud Computing) 5 31. Information Technology (Cyber Security) 25 32. B.Arch. Arch 36 33. Chemical Engg.
Chemical 25 34. Bio-Technology Bio-Tech 18 35. B.B.A MBA 55 36. B.B.A. (Travel & Tourism) 12 37. B.B.A (Hospital & Health Management) 14 38. B.Com. 39 39. B.Com. (Banking Management) 2 40. B.C.A.
MCA 83 41. B.C.A. (DB System) 1 42. B.C.A. (Multimedia & Animation) 9 43. B.Sc. (Cardio Vascular Technology) 4 44. B.Sc. (Perfusion Technology) 6 45. B.Sc. (Fashion Design) Fashion Design 34 46. B.Sc. Visual Communication Visual Communication 22 47. B.Sc. (Aviation) Aeronautical 48. B.Sc. (Avionics) 31 49. B.Sc. (AME) 39 50. B.Sc. Food Technology 9 51. Advanced Diploma in Autotronics (Full Time) Auto 17 52. Advanced Diploma in Autotronics (Part Time) 17 53. Professional Diploma in Cyber Investigation & Laws IT 17 Total 1895
Annual Report 2017-2018 27 Page 9.
M.Tech. (Structural Engineering) Civil 9 10. M.Tech. (Construction Engineering & Management) 10 11. M.Tech. (Environmental Engineering) 7 12. M.Tech. (Highway Engineering) 0 13. M.Tech. (Computer Science & Engg.) CSE 14. M.Tech. (CSE-Data Science & Engg.) 2 15. M.Tech. (CSE-Internet Engineering) 1 16. M.Tech. (Power System Engineering) EEE 17. M.Tech. (PED) 1 18. M.Tech. (Communication Systems) ECE 19. M.Tech. (VLSI Design & ES) 0 20. M.Tech. (PC & IE) EIE 21. M.Tech. (Robotics & Control) 1 22. M.Tech.(Industrial Automation) 0 23. M.Tech. (Engineering Design) Mechanical 2 24. M.Tech. (Thermal Engg.-Part Time) 0 25.
M.Tech. (Thermal Engg.) 4 26. M.Tech. (CAD) 4 27. M.Tech. (R & A/C) 3 28. M.Tech. (Nano Technology) 0 29. M.Tech. (IT) IT 30. M.Tech. (IT-Business Analytics) 0 31. M.Tech. (IT-Social Networking) 0 32. M.Tech. (IT-Ethical Hacking) 2 33. M.Arch. (General) Part Time M.Arch 12 34. M.Arch. (Housing) Part Time 7 35. M.Plan. 5 36. M.B.A. (General) MBA 62 37. M.B.A. (Aviation Management) 10 38. M.B.A. (Media & Entertainment) 11 39. M.B.A. (DTM) 0 40. M.B.A. (Hospital &Management) 6 41. M.B.A. (Hospital & Healthcare) 9 42. M.B.A. (FBE) 0 43. M.B.A. (Auto Dealership) 0 44. M.B.A. (Sports Management) 4 45.
M.C.A. MCA 0 46. M.A. (English Language & Communication) S&H 6 47. M.Sc. Chemistry 1 Total 219 No. Branch Department 2017-2018 I YEAR/I SEM Total
Annual Report 2017-2018 28 Page Students are introduced to value added programmes as a part of curriculum in order to enable them widen their knowledge sphere and get themselves tuned to the current demands of the society in a professional world. Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science offers Value Added Programmes providing a platform for students to choose courses according to their desire. The table below briefs the list of Value Added Courses offered. Value Added Training Programmes No. Department Course Name HITS/ Vendor Starting Period 1 EIE-4 MATLAB HITS Jan-18 2 EIE-6 PLC/ NETWORKING/ DCS/SCADA HITS Jan-18 3 EIE-6 INTEL/ ETAP/IOT HITS Jan-18 4 EEE-4 Basics ofMATLAB HITS Jan-18 5 EEE-6 PLC and SCADA HITS Jan-18 6 EEE-8 Principle of Illumination HITS Jan-18 7 ECE-4A MATLAB HITS Jan-18 8 ECE-4B MATLAB HITS Jan-18 9 ECE-4C MATLAB HITS Jan-18 10 ECE-6A TANNER HITS Jan-18 11 ECE-6B TANNER HITS Jan-18 12 Auto-4A & MSE-4 Welding Technology- Arc, TIG, MIG HITS Jan-18 13 Auto-4B Welding Technology- Arc, TIG, MIG HITS Jan-18 14 Auto-6A & MSE-6 CFD HITS Jan-18 15 Auto-6B & Autotronics CFD HITS Jan-18 16 Aero-6A AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 17 Aero-6B AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 18 Aero-6C AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 19 Aero-6D AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 20 ASP-6A AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 21 ASP-6B AERO Modelling HITS Jan-18 22 Chemical-4 & Bio-4 Mushroom Cultivation HITS Jan-18 23 Chemical-6 & Bio-6 Biogas Technology HITS Jan-18 24 Chemical-8 & Bio-8 Material Characterization Technique HITS Jan-18 25 Mech-4A CATIA HITS Jan-18 26 Mech-4B CATIA HITS Jan-18 27 Mech-4C CATIA HITS Jan-18 28 Mech-6A ANSYS HITS Jan-18 29 Mech-6B ANSYS HITS Jan-18