Programmes & resources - PUB
SHOUT OUT YOUR IDEAS FOR: SPREADING WATER MESSAGES TO THE COMMUNITY & TWINNING OPPORTUNITIES WITH PARTNERS TAKE THE LEAD, SPREAD THE BUZZ TAKE THE LEAD, SPREAD THE BUZZ It takes two hands to clap. By working together, we can achieve so much more. If you have brilliant ideas to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org Development of Jalan Kayu Heritage Trail by Pei Hwa Secondary school for the community. Bukit View Secondary School organises the Water Conservation Animation Competition with support of Anglican High School and Pei Hwa Secondary School.
- SINGAPORE WORLD WATER DAY SINGAPORE WORLD WATER DAY ORGANISING YOUR OWN WORLD WATER DAY EVENT World Water Day is held annually on 22 March, a day designated by the United Nations to celebrate the importance of water sustainability. In Singapore, World Water Day is a nationwide celebration by the community, for the community to celebrate the importance of water in the month of March. Every drop counts, every contribution matters, no matter how big or small! For more information, visit https://www.pub.gov.sg/getinvolved/ singaporeworldwaterday GETTING STARTED
- Set a date for your water event in March
- Decide on a theme for your event. You may link it to Singapore World Water Day’s theme
- Draft fun activities and explore how water topics can be weaved into lesson plans and assembly talks SPREAD THE BUZZ
- Share your event on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram GETTING SUPPORT
- We can help to twin schools with other community partners
- Schools may request support from us Allocating a day or a week to commemorate Singapore World Water Day is a great way to get your school’s staff and students started in becoming more water conscious. Some ideas to organise a successful water-centric event are as follows: 2 3
CHIJ St Nicholas Girls’ School students learn about Singapore’s Water Story through water exhibitions within their campus. Bukit View Secondary School students using recycled water bottles to create water droplets. Students from River Valley High School organises a bottle cap mural activity at Jurong Lake. CELEBRATE SINGAPORE WORLD WATER DAY CELEBRATE SINGAPORE WORLD WATER DAY WATER RATIONING EXERCISE WATER RATIONING EXERCISE The last water rationing in Singapore was held in 1964. However, we should not take our water supply for granted. Conduct a meaningful water rationing exercise and let your students experience a day of “water shortage” to better appreciate our precious water resources.
Students from Woodgrove Secondary School experienced four hours of water shortage. Peirce Secondary School’s students were engaged in a two and a half hours water rationing exercise to learn the importance of water conservation. 4 5
- Learn the importance of water conservation through interactive games and exhibits
- Introduction to the 3 stage process of producing NEWater
- Understand the basics of natural filtration Availability: Tuesday – Friday, 10 am – 12 pm For bookings, visit https://www.pub.gov.sg/getinvolved/schools/ A highly interactive programme where youth student leaders come together to discuss water issues and become empowered to contribute towards water sustainability.
- Learning Outcomes:
- Connect youths to water issues
- Understand Singapore’s water story and to be aware of challenges threatening our water sustainability
- Foster a sense of national identity
- Develop leadership skills and stewardship of our waters Availability: Morning session: 10 am – 12 pm Afternoon session: 2.30 pm – 4.30 pm For bookings, visit https://www.pub.gov.sg/getinvolved/schools/ programmes WATER EDUCATION @ NEWATER VISITOR CENTRE WATER EDUCATION @ NEWATER VISITOR CENTRE LEARNING JOURNEY @ MARINA BARRAGE LEARNING JOURNEY @ MARINA BARRAGE Built across the mouth of the Marina Channel, the Marina Barrage is Singapore’s 15th reservoir, the first in the heart of the city. Students will be edu-tained through the guided tour at Sustainable Singapore Gallery. Your school can also organise a picnic here!
- Learning Outcomes:
- Appreciate the 3-in-1 benefits of the Barrage – for water supply, flood control and as a lifestyle attraction
- Learn about the water technology at Marina Barrage Availability: All year (excluding Tuesdays) For bookings, visit https://www.pub.gov.sg/ marinabarrage/ssg Members of the public who join Friends of Marina Barrage can get discount at participating outlets and be kept updated on the wide array of events held at the Barrage. 6 7
- Water Sustainability and the Four National Taps
- Concept of ABC Waters and Design Features
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Human Impact and Stewardship of Our Waters
- Water Quality
- The Water Cycle and Journey of Water Availability: All year For bookings, visit https://app.pub.gov.sg/geographicalstudies/pages/ geographicalinvestigation.aspx PUB partners with the Ministry of Education to welcome teachers and students to our reservoirs and waterways to conduct field investigation. Students will have the opportunity to practise some basic research skills in this unique learning journey. This is a self-guided tour by teachers. Student booklet and/or trainer’s guide are available to facilitate the trail. GEOGRAPHICAL INVESTIGATION FIELD STUDIES GEOGRAPHICAL INVESTIGATION FIELD STUDIES ROVING EXHIBITIONS AND MEDIA RESOURCES ROVING EXHIBITIONS AND MEDIA RESOURCES Organising a Water-related event? Your school may request for exhibits to further the students’ learning on water. All requests are subjected to availability. Delivery is included. The Water Conservation A1 panels educate students on a variety of topics, ranging from general tips on how to conserve water, introduction to Singapore’s Water Story, community initiatives by various Friends of Water and biodiversity at various water sites. WATER CONSERVATION (A1 PANELS) EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS ON WATER TOPICS Educate the students on the Singapore Water Story and simple steps to conserve our water resources through animated infographic videos. Download the videos at: https://goo.gl/7uvSuh REQUEST FOR NEWATER BOTTLES NEWater Bottles (Self-collection is required) Please place your order at least one month in advance. To place a request, visit: https://app.pub.gov.sg/newaterbottles/pages/Register.aspx 8 9
ACTIVE, BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN WATERS LEARNING TRAIL @ SUNGEI ULU PANDAN ACTIVE, BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN WATERS LEARNING TRAIL @ SUNGEI ULU PANDAN Designed by the students of Ngee Ann Polytechnic that undergoes the module of ABC Waters Management under The School of Life Sciences & Chemical Technology, this trail will be entirely student-led and organised by Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Students will get to discover the interesting design features situated at Sungei Ulu Pandan, where they can also enjoy the lush greenery coupled with the wonderful sightings or diverse flora and fauna in and around the river. Tapping on experiential learning, students will continue to have a hands-on experience on the collection and testing of water samples at Van Kleef Centre.
Availability: End January, End June to Mid July and Early November 2019 Duration: 3 hours Group Size: 25 to 40 pax 10
SCHOOL NAME ADDRESS NAME EMAIL CONTACT NO. NUMBER OF STUDENTS PARTICIPATING SCHOOL POPULATION SIZE RESOURCES REQUIRED o Soft copy of Student Booklet/Trainers’ Guide o Water Conservation A1 Panels RESOURCE REQUEST FORM RESOURCE REQUEST FORM Participate in our programme(s): o Singapore World Water Day o Water Education @ NEWater Visitor Centre o Geographical Investigation Field Studies o Learning Journey @ Marina Barrage o ABC Waters Learning Trail @ Sungei Ulu Pandan Please submit the completed form to: Noorliana Sadli / E: email@example.com / T: 6731 3252 By completing this form, you have granted your consent to PUB, the national water agency to keep you informed on future updates about our events and programme updates.
All resources are subjected to availability and are for self-collection. 11
PUB, SINGAPORE’S NATIONAL WATER AGENCY PUB is the national water agency that manages Singapore’s water supply, water catchment and sewerage in an integrated way. PUB won the 2007 Stockholm Industry Water Award and was named Water Agency of the Year at the Global Water Awards 2006. PUB’S MASCOT - WATER WALLY To encourage the public to take ownership of the precious water resource and use water wisely, Water Wally was created in 2005 to bring life to PUB’s messages in a fun and interactive way.
ABOUT PUB'S FRIENDS OF WATER INITIATIVE : Friends of Water aims to recognise, inspire and encourage community stewardship of the nation’s water resources. If you care for water and take positive actions for the water cause, you can be recognised as a Friend of Water. Any individual or organisation can be a Friend of Water by taking part in PUB’s events and programmes, adopting a water space of starting your own water activity to educate others.