HSBC MALAYSIA - BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION 2019
Sponsored by Organised by HSBC MALAYSIA BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION 2019 The ultimate business case challenge that helps to foster your analytical thinking, stimulate your creativity and hone your competitive edge! Compete for the coveted spot to represent your institution at this prestigious competition and stand a chance to participate in the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition 2019 in Hong Kong. Eligibility This competition is open to full-time undergraduates at the invited university in the 2018/2019 academic calendar. Students who have participated in the previous edition of the competition are not eligible for participation.
Awards Champion RM15,000 per team and entry into the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition 2019 in Hong Kong 1st Runner-Up RM10,000 per team 2nd Runner-Up RM8,000 per team 3rd Runner-Up RM5,000 per team Interested? Join us at the HSBC Malaysia Case Study Workshop: Date: 19 January 2019 | 0900 – 1400 16 February 2019 | 0900 – 1400 Tentative Venue: HSBC Malaysia Head Office Leboh Ampang Kuala Lumpur To register: https://goo.gl/forms/ndB51jn2pPcs4PD23
Sponsored by: Organised by: HSBCMALAYSIA BUSINESSCASECOMPETITION2019 INFORMATIONKIT
Organised by: Sponsored by: HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 COMPETITION OVERVIEW 1 ▪ Since 2014, Enactus Malaysia has been organizing the prestigious case competition for Malaysian undergraduates with the national champion team will have the opportunity to represent Malaysia in the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition in Hong Kong.
The case competition is designed to provide a platform for young students to apply their practical business knowledge and skills to real life business scenarios. ▪ Sponsored by HSBC Malaysia, teams of four (4) undergraduates representing their respective universities are set to compete against other teams in business strategy-making and presentation, by applying technical, critical thinking and soft-skills to analyse a business case, recommend solutions addressing the issues highlighted in the case and present their arguments in a coherent and fluid manner to a panel of judges.
This year, invited universities are required to hold their respective campus-level case competition or selection process; with the winners or selected students from the campuslevel competitions/selection process to advance to the national-level HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition. ▪ Two workshops will be held for the students – the first workshop will focus on business case analysis; and the second workshop is aiming at helping students to enhance their strategic and critical thinking skills; and effective communication skills which is in line with HSBC Future Skills agenda.
HSBC MALAYSIA BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION – PAST WINNERS ▪ HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2014 Champion - Taylor’s University 1st Runner-Up - University of Nottingham Malaysia ▪ HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2015 Champion - University of Nottingham Malaysia 1st Runner-Up - Monash University Malaysia ▪ HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2016 Champion - University Malaya 1st Runner-Up - University of Nottingham Malaysia ▪ HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2017 Champion - UCSI University 1st Runner-Up - Management Science University (MSU) ▪ HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2018 Champion - University of Nottingham Malaysia 1st Runner-Up - Taylor’s University 2 Organised by: Sponsored by: HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019
Organised by: Sponsored by: MECHANICS OF THE COMPETITION 4 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ The competition consists of a campus-level competition (selection process), an opening round competition, followed by the semi-final and final round of the competition.
Participation in this competition is by invitation only and each invited university may send one (1) team comprise of four (4) undergraduates to the national-level case competition , which will see a maximum of 24 public and private universities in Malaysia. ▪ Teams will be placed in their individual breakout rooms and are given three (3) hours to read, analyse, prepare solutions for the case and build a presentation to the judges. ▪ The solutions will be presented to a panel of 3 - 5 senior business executives. Each presentation should last no longer than 20 minutes followed by a 15-minute Q&A session.
All team members must participate in the presentation.
Electronic devices such as laptops and tablets are not allowed; neither is the use of PowerPoint until the team had presented their analysis. Students are provided with overhead projectors and given overhead acetate sheets for their presentations. ▪ Students who have participated in past competition, local and Asia Pacific levels, will not be permitted to join the competition again.
- Winners from campus-level case competition will be invited to attend design thinking for business case workshop. Participation is mandatory.
- 24 participating teams will be divided into 6 groups (4 teams per group) in the Opening Round Competition.
- 2 teams from each group will advance to the Semi-Final Round Competition (total of 12 semi-finalists).
- 12 semi-finalists will be drawn into 4 groups (3 teams in each group) in the Semi-Final Competition and 1 team from each group will be advancing to the Final Round Competition. Organised by: Sponsored by: COMPETITION PHASES 5 CAMPUS-LEVEL COMPETITION NATIONAL-LEVEL COMPETITION REGIONAL-LEVEL COMPETITION
- 24 selected universities to be invited to participate in the HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2019.
- Interested students will have the opportunity to join a business case study workshop focusing on methodologies to analyse a business case and developing strategies.
- Each selected university to conduct a campus-level case competition or selection process on their respective university, with minimum of two (2) teams competing. Winners from campus-level competition will advance to the HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2019.
- A series of mentoring and coaching for the champion teams will be arranged to prepare the national champion team for the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case competition.
- Coaching sessions will focus on case practice with corporate strategy consultants, understanding industry and business trends; and developing innovative solutions.
- Champion team will represent Malaysia in the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition in Hong Kong, tentatively to be held on 3 – 6 June 2019. HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019
- Organised by: Sponsored by: TIMELINE HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition 2019 3 – 6 June 2019* Hong Kong Invited universities/business schools to confirm participation by 31 January 2019 A series of mentoring/coaching will arranged between 1 April – 30 May 2019 6
- Registration of campus-level winners for HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2019 by 25 February 2019
- Interested students are invited to attend a business case study workshops.
- Two workshops: 19 January 2019 & 16 February 2019 Tentative Venue: HSBC Malaysia Head Office
- Campus-level winners to be invited to attend the workshop on strategic thinking & presentation skills. Team participation is mandatory.
- Date: 2 & 3 March 2019
- Venue: TBC
- Opening Round Competition
- Date: 13 March 2019
- Venue: Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur
- Semi-Final & Final Round Competition
- Date: 26 & 27 March 2019
- Venue: Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur *The HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition 2019 coincides with Hari Raya Aidilfitri holiday.
Organised by: Sponsored by: CAMPUS-LEVEL COMPETITION/SELECTION PROCESS FORMAT 7 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ Enactus Malaysia may provide a case for campus-level competition or selection process upon request.
Judges for campus-level competition are to be invited by participating university. It may include team mentor(s) and faculty members/academicians. ▪ Minimum two (2) teams competing with participation of four (4) students in each team. ▪ University has sole discretion to select the winners to represent the university at HSBC Malaysia Business Case Competition 2019; either from the winning team or select the best participants at campus-level competition/selection process.
University may amend the competition/selection process format – e.g. shorten case reading hour and presentation time; or using Powerpoint slides rather than acetate sheets for OHP projector, as University deems fit. ▪ University must submit the list of students participated in campus-level competition or selection process together with the final list of participants representing the University to Enactus Malaysia. A certificate will be awarded to each participating student.
Organised by: Sponsored by: OPENING ROUND COMPETITION FORMAT 8 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 Group A Group B Group C Group D Group E Group 13 March 2019, Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur Top 2 teams in each group advance ( 24 teams 12 teams )
Organised by: Sponsored by: SEMI-FINAL ROUND COMPETITION FORMAT 9 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 26 March 2019 (Semi-Final) & 27 March 2019 (Final), Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur The best team in each group advances to the Final Round ( 12 teams 4 teams Champion ) Group A Group B Group C Group D √ Finalist 1 Finalist 2 Finalist 3 Finalist 4
JUDGING CRITERIA 1. Key Issues ▪ Is there a clear definition of key issues, possibly divided into key subsidiary issues? 2. Analysis ▪ Have both qualitative and quantitative points been brought into the analysis, are they consistent and do they reinforce each other? Have the key ideas in the presentation been crystallized here? 3.
Evaluation of Feasible Alternatives, Solutions and Recommendations ▪ Are the recommendations realistic and are the solutions practical? Do the solutions and recommendations have a strategic focus? Do the solutions and recommendations tie in with the rest of the presentation? Have the recommendations been adequately justified?
4. Implementation and Plan of Action ▪ Has the team considered cost and control issues? Has the team worked out a realistic timeline and identify possible unforeseen issues? 5. Question & Answer ▪ Has the team defended its position in a convincing manner and remained consistent to the presentation? Is the team able to handle questions effectively and with confidence? Is the team relatively well-balanced in terms of strengths and do they work well together, smoothly transitioning from one speaker to another? 6. Presentation Form and Style ▪ Did the team have good communication skills and presentation style? Did the team present creative ideas? Was the team professional at all times? Were the acetate slides easy to follow? Did the team budget its time appropriately?
10 Organised by: Sponsored by: HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019
Organised by: Sponsored by: RULES FOR THE SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS 11 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ All participants must be full-time undergraduate students enrolled at the participating university in the 2018/2019 academic year. ▪ This year, the competition is open to non-Malaysian undergraduates studying in Malaysia. However, each team can only send up to two (2) non-Malaysian students to participate. ▪ Students who have participated in the previous editions of the competition are not eligible to compete again.
Organised by: Sponsored by: RULES FOR PARTICIPANTS 12 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ Computers are not allowed. ▪ Smartphones, tablets, iPad, PDAs and all other electronic memory devices are not allowed in both the case reading rooms and presentation rooms. ▪ Laser pointer and similar presentation devices are not allowed. ▪ Reference material (other than provided by the competition organiser) is not allowed. ▪ Mobile phones and all mobile communication devices need to be switched off during preparation and presentation sessions.
Participants in competition must not be in contact with any party other than fellow team members (including coaches or other participants), through any means, during the course of the competition.
Participants should at all times follow the instructions of the organising committee members, identifiable by their official competition tags. ▪ Participants must observe and obey all rules at all times. ▪ Participants should ensure they reach all venues in a timely manner. ▪ If in doubt about any of the rules, participants should consult staff of Enactus Malaysia.
Organised by: Sponsored by: RULES FOR PARTICIPANTS 13 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ Participants are required to be present at the presentation venue at least five (5) minutes before the start of their presentations. Presentations will start at the exact scheduled time. Participants who wish to shake hands with the judges must do so immediately upon entering the presentation venue. ▪ No additional time will be provided if teams are late for their presentation. If teams have not started the presentation 10 minutes after the scheduled time, the team will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
In case one team member is sick or otherwise unable to participate, the team can continue as a team of 3. A team that has less than 3 members has to forfeit. ▪ Team members that have not participated in at least one presentation are not eligible for any prize or certificate of participation. ▪ All team members are required to participate in the presentation and the Q&A session. ▪ All teams must participate in the case study workshop and encouraged to attend all rounds of competition whether as participants or observers.
In the event that a winning team is not able to take its prize and/or move to the next level of the local and/or proceed to the regional competition, the next best team will then be promoted accordingly.
This applies to all levels of the competition.
Organised by: Sponsored by: RULES FOR PARTICIPANTS 14 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ Persons (other than coaches) who have already participated in earlier editions of the competition are strictly prohibited from participating again. ▪ Teams or team members who fail to comply with the competition rules will be disqualified. ▪ In case of disputes, the decision of the organising committee shall be final. ▪ The preparation and presentation times for teams may be amended at any time by the organising committee.In their respective break out venues, participants will be provided with:
- Overhead acetates
- One set of markers for overhead acetates in 3 colours.
- One set of whiteboard markers in 3 colours.
- Plain paper and cue cards. Participants can bring their own stationeries limited to:
- Pens and pencils, rulers, erasers, liquid papers, sharpeners, highlighters.
- Calculators (however, scientific calculators are not allowed)
Organised by: Sponsored by: NOTICE OF FILMING & PHOTOGRAPHY 15 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ By taking part in this competition, all participants, mentors and attendees grant Enactus Malaysia and HSBC full rights to use the images resulting from photography/video filming, and any reproductions or adaptations of the images for fundraising, publicity or other purposes to help achieve Enactus and HSBC’s aims. This might include (but is not limited to) the right to use them in printed and online publicity, social media, press releases and funding applications.
Organised by: Sponsored by: HSBC/HKU ASIA PACIFIC BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION 2019 16 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ Sponsored by HSBC, the Asia Case Research Centre, the University of Hong Kong has organized the undergraduate only business case competition that brings together top universities from all over globe since 2008.
The countries/territories include Australia, China, France, SAR Hong Kong, India, Korea, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand , Vietnam, USA and Canada. ▪ The 2019 competition will be a four-day event bringing together top students from 24 universities in 21 countries/territories and business executives from the Asia Pacific region. Over 60 senior business executives including more than 20 senior executives from HSBC will be invited to judge at the competition.
The Champion of the HSBC/HKU Asia Pacific Business Case Competition 2019 will be awarded a cash prize of US$10,000, and the 1st Runner-Up and 2nd Runner-Up will bring back US$5,000 and US$2,000 respectively.
Organised by: Sponsored by: HSBC/HKU ASIA PACIFIC BUSINESS CASE COMPETITION – PAST WINNERS 17 HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019 ▪ 2008 - The University of Hong Kong ▪ 2009 - The University of Hong Kong ▪ 2010 - Hong Kong Baptist University ▪ 2011 - National University of Singapore ▪ 2012 - The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology ▪ 2013 - Fudan University ▪ 2014 - The University of Hong Kong ▪ 2015 - University of Auckland ▪ 2016 - National University of Singapore ▪ 2017 - City University of Hong Kong ▪ 2018 - Yonsei University, South Korea
Organised by: Sponsored by: TENTATIVE AGENDA FOR COMPETITION Opening Round 12 March 2019 (Tuesday) Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur 08:30PM - 09:30PM Welcoming & League Drawing Semi-Final Round 26 March 2019 (Tuesday) Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur 10:00AM – 10:30AM Welcoming & League Drawing 10:50AM – 03:20PM Case Reading 12:00PM – 02:00PM Lunch & Briefing for Judges 02:00PM – 04:30PM Team Presentations 04:30PM – 05:30PM Announcement of Results & Final Round League Drawing Final Round 13 March 2019 (Wednesday) Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur 08:15AM – 01:30PM Case Reading (League A,B,C) 10:00AM – 11:15AM Briefing for Judges (Batch 1) 11:25AM – 02:30PM Team Presentations (League, A, B,C) 11:30AM – 01:45PM Case Reading (League D,E,F) 01:00PM – 02:30PM Briefing for Judges (Batch 2) 02:40PM – 05:45PM Team Presentations (League D,E,F) 06:00PM – 06:30PM Announcement of Results & Awards Ceremony 27 March 2019 (Wednesday) Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur 10:00AM – 03:30PM Case Reading 12:00PM – 01:30PM Lunch & Briefing for Judges 01:30PM – 04:30PM Team Presentations 04:30PM – 05:00PM Announcement of Results & Awards Ceremony HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019
Organised by: Sponsored by: CONTACT INFORMATION For more information, please contact: Zul Saadon Chief Executive Officer Enactus Malaysia E: firstname.lastname@example.org HSBCMalaysia BusinessCaseCompetition2019