Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices

Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices

Care Services Directory

> Home support   > Specialist care    > Care homes           > Useful contacts

   The independent guide to choosing and paying for care

Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Home Care
    for people who wish
    to stay living
    in their own homes

    At Cornwall Care we recognise the importance of individual living;
    we understand that having the opportunity to live independently
    in your own home can have an enormous impact on your confidence
    and wellbeing.

    We have over 200 dedicated staff members delivering care across Cornwall
    from an hour a week to 24 hours a day. We support people with a variety
    of conditions, including but not limited to:

         - Physical disabilities
         - Learning disabilities
         - Children and families with disabilities*
         - Age related illnesses and palliative care
         - Dementia and mental health conditions

    * This covers disabled children over the age of 18 and parents with disabilities themselves

2   08455 191192
              For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
How to use this Directory

A message from Cornwall Council 5

Helping you to stay independent 5
Local services, equipment and solutions

Support from the council                           16
First steps and assessment

Services for carers                                20
Assessment, benefits and guidance

Care in your own home                              22
How it can help

Living with dementia at home 23
Family support, respite and services

Paying for care in your home                       30 Residential care in Cornwall                         56
Understanding your options                                  Comprehensive listings by region

Home care providers                                31 Useful local contacts                                71
A comprehensive list of local agencies
                                                            Useful national contacts                        73
Housing with care                                  38
The different models available

Specialist services                                39        Essential checklists
Disability care, end of life care and advocacy                Assistive technology                         17
                                                              Home care agency                             29
Care homes                                         44        Care homes                                   45
Types of homes and activities explained                       Residential dementia care                    47

Paying for care                                    48
                                                             All the listings in this publication of care homes,
Understanding the system                                     care homes with nursing and home care providers
                                                             are supplied by the Care Quality Commission
Important information                              51       (CQC) and Care Choices Ltd cannot be held liable
                                                             for any errors or omissions.
Further help and information

 To obtain extra copies of this Directory, free of charge, call Care Choices
 on 01223 207770.

 Alternative    This Directory is available electronically at where there
 formats        is a Browsealoud option for those requiring the information in spoken word.

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                                       3
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
    Welcome to this edition of the independent       may want to consider a housing with care
    Cornwall Care Services Directory, which          scheme (see page 38) or residential care.
    contains information for adults looking for      Comprehensive lists of care homes and care
    care or support within the county, whether       homes with nursing in Cornwall start on page
    they are paying for it themselves or receiving   56.
    support from the council.
                                                     There’s also important information about
    Staying as independent as possible is            care decisions, including finding care in
    important to everybody. This Directory           another county, making a comment or
    contains information about the care and          complaint about a service and how solicitors
    support services available to enable you to      can help you.
    do this when remaining at home, moving
    into a housing with care scheme, or within a
                                                      Finding care options in your
    care home or care home with nursing.
    If you feel you need support to remain
    independent, first look to your community.        This Directory offers a telephone and
    There’s a host of organisations and               website service allowing you to search
    voluntary services that could help you.           by postcode or region for care homes,
                                                      care homes with nursing and home care
    If you think you need more formal care and        providers that meet your requirements
    support, arrange an assessment with your          across the country. Your search can be
    local Adult Social Services department to         sent to you by post or email, or discussed
    establish your specific needs. This is free,      with you over the telephone.
    irrespective of your income and available
    to all those who appear to need care and          If you are searching online, the results
    support. More details are provided on page        can be saved and emailed to others. You
    16. The assessment will determine whether         can also view an electronic version of this
    you are eligible for financial support via a      Directory on the site and have it read to
    Personal Budget, which may allow you to buy       you by using the ‘Browsealoud’ function.
    in your own support and take control of your
    situation.                                        Whatever your care needs, this Directory
                                                      and the Care Choices telephone and
    Alternatively, your circumstances may mean        website service will be able to point
    you are classed as a ‘self-funder’, with the      you in the best direction, however you
    means to pay for your care. This is discussed     would like care information presented.
    on page 30 for those paying for care at home      Call 0800 389 2077 or visit
    and 48 for those paying for residential care.

    Support or care to remain living in your own
    home may be the option that best suits your
    circumstances. Ideas to make life easier at
    home start on page 11 and a list of local
    home care providers begins on page 31.

    If you are unable to remain at home, you

4   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
A message from Cornwall Council
Cornwall Council’s Adult Social Services        • leisure activities;
Directorate has responsibility for providing
                                                • getting around;
social care to adults in Cornwall. We help
adults with eligible social care needs to       • health and wellbeing;
find care and support so they can live
                                                • work, learning and volunteering;
as independently as possible in their
own homes. These may be older people,           • advice, information and money matters;
people with physical disabilities or learning
                                                • staying safe;
disabilities and mental health service users.
We also provide support for carers who look     • caring for someone; and
after relatives or friends who can’t manage
                                                • housing and care homes.
on their own.
                                                In many cases, we work with organisations
Social care support includes:
                                                in the community, or health colleagues, to
• making sure you eat well and look after       support people to live as independently as
  yourself;                                     they wish to.
• help with day-to-day living;
                                                The Care Act will have an impact on the
• ensuring your emotional wellbeing and         services we provide and the way those
  mental health are good; and                   services are delivered and charged for. For
                                                more information on the Care Act, go to
• supporting your family and friends to care
  for you.

You can also use the online Support in           Adult Social Services
Cornwall website (www.supportincornwall.         Cornwall Council to find help from community and          County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY
voluntary groups. The website includes:          Tel: 0300 1234 131
• support at home;

Helping you to stay independent
Services developed in partnership               Examples include:
with the voluntary sector                      • day services, lunch clubs and social
Adult Social Services works with voluntary      • befriending, visiting and telephone contact
and community organisations to supply             services;
preventative care services. These are a         • support schemes to help people being
vital form of support and help to maintain        discharged from hospital;
independence and social inclusion, and
                                                • support for carers; and
delay or avoid the need for more statutory
interventions.                                  • handyperson schemes.

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                    5
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Day care centres                                Other day centres
                                                     Carleen Care Centre
    Many people can feel lonely or isolated          Wheal Vor, Carleen Breage,
    without an opportunity to fill their days with   Helston TR13 9NP
    meaningful activities. Research has shown        Tel: 01736 763604
    that one way to alleviate loneliness and
    promote wellbeing and independence is to         Chy Koes and Tregarne
    provide regular social contact and a focus for   North Street, St Austell PL25 5QE
    activities.                                      Tel: 01726 72429

    Day care centres give people the chance to       Concern Wadebridge
    change their routine, meet new people, take      John Betjeman Centre, Southern Way,
    up an activity or receive specialist services    Wadebridge PL27 7BX
    such as chiropody or hairdressing.               Tel: 01208 812392

    There is a wide variety around the county,       Hayle Day Care Centre
    catering for older people, people with mental    Commercial Road, Hayle TR27 4DE
    health conditions, learning disabilities and     Tel: 01736 755000
                                                     Pengarth Day Centre
    Centres can be as important for carers as        Morrab Gardens, Penzance TR18 4DA
    those attending as they allow for a regular      Tel: 01736 364307
    break from caring.
                                                     St Mary’s Haven Day Care Centre
     Age UK day centres                             St Mary’s Haven House, St Mary’s Street,
                                                     Penzance TR18 2DH
     Age UK Cornwall & The Isles of Scilly           Tel: 01736 367342
     Boscawen House,
     Chapel Hill, Truro TR1 3BN                      Westgate Centre
     Tel: 01872 266 383                              28a Westgate Street,
                                                     Launceston PL15 7AE
     Falmouth Day Centre                             Tel: 01566 777344
     Killigrew Street, Falmouth TR11 3XP
     Tel: 01326 316880
                                                     Learning disability day centres
     Newquay Day Centre                              Blantyre Centre
     Kimberley Close, Crantock Street,               Truro Road, St Austell, Cornwall PL25 5HJ
     Newquay TR7 1JR                                 Tel: 01726 73357
     Tel: 01637 876150
                                                     Bishop Rock
     St Austell Day Centre                           61 Green Lane, Redruth, TR15 1LS
     St John’s Church Hall,                          Tel: 01209 310618
     20a Bodmin Road,
     St Austell PL25 5AE                             Bridge, The
     Tel: 01726 76806                                Falmouth Skills for Life Centre,

6   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Tregenver Road, Falmouth TR11 2QW           Physical disabilities centres
Tel: 01872 327604
                                            Echo Centre (Liskeard)
Camborne Centre, The                        Barras Place, Liskeard PL14 6AY
Old Magistrates Hall, Adelaide Street,      Tel: 01579 341070
Camborne TR14 8AN
Tel: 01872 322280                           Cornwall care homes offering
                                            day care
Drym Valley Centre (learning disability
                                            Appleby Lodge
and previous mental health)
                                            157 Launceston Road, Kelly Bray,
Higher Drym Farm, Praze,
                                            Callington PL17 8DU
Camborne TR14 0NU
                                            Tel: 01579 383979
Tel: 01736 850707
                                            Ar-Lyn Residential Home
Holifeld Farm Project Daycare
                                            Vicarage Lane, Lelant, St Ives TR26 3JZ
Bonallack Lane, Gweek TR12 6UJ
                                            Tel: 01736 753330
Tel: 01326 221017
Kehelland Horticultural Centre
                                            61 Truro Road, St Austell PL25 5JG
(learning disability/physical disability)
                                            Tel: 01726 72956
Camborne TR14 0DD                           Eirenikon Park
Tel: 01209 718975                           Bossiney Road, Tintagel PL34 0AE
                                            Tel: 01840 770252
Launceston Day Centre
15 Newport Industrial Estate,               Eldon House
Launceston PL15 8EX                         Downgate, Upton Cross,
Tel: 01566 776422                           Liskeard PL14 5AJ
                                            Tel: 01579 362686
Leats, The
Truro City Centre TR1 3AH                   Eventide Home Liskeard
Tel: 01872 322220                           14 Castle Street, Liskeard PL14 3AU
                                            Tel: 01579 342676
66 St Nicholas Street, Bodmin PL31 2AS      Eventide Home
Tel: 01208 265650                           22 Downs View, Bude EX23 8RQ
                                            Tel: 01288 352602
Morley Tamblyn Lodge
Lodge Hill, Liskeard PL14 4EN               Fernleigh House
Tel: 01579 345858                           Albaston, Gunnislake PL18 9AJ
                                            Tel: 01822 832926
Park View
The Old Cattle Market,                      Godolphin House Care Home
Old Porethleven Road,                       Godolphin House, 42 Godolphin Road,
Helston TR13 0FR                            Helston TR13 8QF
Tel: 01209 615056                           Tel: 01326 572609

Visit for further assistance with your search for care          7
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Harbour House                             Pendarves
    Penberthy Road, Portreath,                25 Pendarves Road,
    Redruth TR16 4LW                          Camborne TR14 7QF
    Tel: 01209 843276                         Tel: 01209 714576

    Hillsborough                              Pendrea House
    Southern Road, Callington PL17 7ER        14 Westheath Avenue,
    Tel: 01579 383138                         Bodmin PL31 1QH
                                              Tel: 01208 74338
    Highermead Care Home
    College Road, Camelford PL32 9TL          Perran Bay Home
    Tel: 01840 212528                         St Piran’s Road, Perranporth TR6 0BH
                                              Tel: 01872 572275
    Longview Care Home
    Rosehill, Goonhavern, Truro TR4 9JX       Polventon House
    Tel: 01872 573378                         High Street, St Keverne,
                                              Helston TR12 6NS
    Manse, The                                Tel: 01326 280734
    15 Cargoll Road, St Newlyn East,
    Newquay TR8 5LB                           Porteroughe Care Home
    Tel: 01872 510844                         Vicarage Road, Torpoint PL11 2EP
                                              Tel: 01752 814469
    Mount Pleasant
    Rosemundy, St Agnes TR5 0UD
                                              St Winnolls, Polbathic,
    Tel: 01872 553165
                                              Torpoint PL11 3DX
                                              Tel: 01503 230256
    Newquay Service
    The Youth Centre, Whitegate Road,
                                              Rowan House
    Newquay TR7 2RG
                                              4 Lower Port View, Saltash PL12 4BY
    Tel: 01872 327054
                                              Tel: 01752 843843

    Old Manor House, The                      Springfield House
    6 Regent Terrace, Penzance TR18 4DW       North Hill, Launceston PL15 7PQ
    Tel: 01736 363742                         Tel: 01566 782361

    Old Vicarage, The                         St Anthony’s Residential Home
    Antony, Torpoint PL11 3AQ                 Station Road, Liskeard PL14 4BY
    Tel: 01752 812384                         Tel: 01579 342308

    Pathfields                                St Clair House
    Bungalow 1, Bude EX23 8DW                 32 Basset Road, Camborne TR14 8SL
    Tel: 01288 356235                         Tel: 01209 713273

    Penmeneth House                           St Petroc’s Care Home
    16 Penpol Avenue, Hayle TR27 4NQ          St Nicholas Street, Bodmin PL31 1AG
    Tel: 01736 752359                         Tel: 01208 262900

8   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Torpoint Nursing Centre                Meals on wheels
Vicarage Road, Torpoint PL11 2BW
Tel: 01752 813677                      Some services are able to deliver frozen or
                                       freshly cooked meals to your home. Frozen
Wentworth                              meals can be delivered in bulk and kept in
59 South Street, St Austell PL25 5BN   your freezer until required, while hot meals
Tel: 01726 72941                       should be eaten immediately.

Mental Health Resource Centres         You may find a service by word of mouth or
                                       using the internet – your local library may be
                                       able to help here.
Tel: 01326 315822
                                       Adult Social Services can advise as well, call
                                       0300 1234 131, or check the Support in
                                       Cornwall website for services in your area at
Tel: 01209 613006

Tel: 01288 355695

Tel: 01579 347651

Fountain House
St Austell
Tel: 01726 76299
                                       Adapting your home
Tel: 01566 777490                      To remain in your own home for as long
                                       as you would like, you should ensure that
Richmond House                         it is safe, secure and warm. Some forward
Penzance                               planning to ensure that the garden doesn’t
Tel: 01736 350752                      become a burden is also sensible. If you
                                       are not planning to move, think about
Roswyth                                adaptations that would make life easier now
Newquay                                and later on.
Tel: 01637 873122
                                       Home Improvement Agencies (HIAs)
Stepping Stones
                                       HIAs are local organisations funded and
                                       supported by local and central government.
Tel: 01872 241783
                                       They work professionally and sensitively with
                                       older and disabled homeowners, providing
Trelil Court
                                       advice, support and assistance to help them
                                       repair, improve, maintain or adapt their
Tel: 01208 76899
                                       homes to meet their changing needs.

Visit for further assistance with your search for care            9
Cornwall Care Services Directory 2018/19 - Care Choices
Most HIAs provide three main services,            sure whether you can afford the home
                including: information and advice on repairs      repairs or adaptations you need. They can
                or adaptations you may be considering – this      advise on your eligibility for any grants
                usually entails a visit to your home and is       and, if necessary, put you in touch with an
                often free; a handyperson service for small       independent financial adviser.
                jobs and repairs – typically, the HIA will
                employ its own handypersons and charge             For further information about, and contact
                you an hourly rate for their services; and a       details for, local HIAs, visit
                home adaptations service for more major   or contact your
                works.                                             local council.

                The HIA will work with you to specify the
                adaptations needed, and they will normally
                offer to get estimates from one or more
                of their regular contractors. Subject to
                your acceptance, the HIA will then offer to
                manage the works contract for you for an
                agreed fee.

                HIAs may also be helpful if you are not


     With so many providers to choose from, where do you start?

     • Find care providers quickly and easily     • Additional information, photos
     • Search by location and care need             and web links
     • Information on care quality                • Brochure requests
     • Links to inspection reports

10              For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Making life easier at home

In the living room

Plug with handle



Chair raisers

 GETTING IN/OUT OF      • Block of foam in chair base                 • Buy an electric riser chair
 CHAIRS                 • Buy ready-made chair raisers
                        • Buy a chair at the right height
                        • Take regular, gentle exercise

 OPENING/CLOSING        • Move furniture out of the way               • I nstall environmental controls
 WINDOWS                • Install/purchase a fan                         or air-conditioning
                        • Buy a tool to open/close windows            • Install new windows

 CONTROLLING THE        • Change the switches for ease of use         • Move the heating controls
 HEATING                • Fit a timer switch                          • Install new or additional
                        • Purchase a standalone heater                   heating system

 KEEPING WARM           •U se a trolley to transport the fuel for    • Insulate your house
                          your fire                                   • Swap to a cheaper heating
                        • Replace the fire with a heater                 system
                        • Apply for a winter fuel payment             • Change to a simpler heating

 TURNING LIGHTS         • Install a light switch toggle               • Move the light switches
 ON/OFF                 • Purchase a socket extension                 • Replace the light switches
                        • Purchase handi-plugs                        • Install environmental controls

 HEARING THE TV         • Use subtitles                               • Request an assessment for a
                        • Purchase wireless headphones                   hearing aid
                                                                      • Install a room loop

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                           11
In the bedroom

Pillow raisers                                                                               Easy grip scissors

                                                        M T
                                                            W T
                                                                F S

 Bed raisers                                                                                     Pill dispenser

 GETTING IN AND OUT          • Learn new ways of moving safely          • Use a transfer board
 OF BED                      • Purchase a leg lifter                    • Buy an electric adjustable bed
                             • Raise the bed                            • Install a hospital bed
                             • Fit grab rails                           • Use a hoist

 SITTING UP IN               • Change to less heavy bedding             • Buy a bed cradle/bed ladder
 BED, TURNING OR             • Learn new ways of moving safely          • Use a bed lever
 ROLLING OVER                • Purchase a pillow raiser                 • Buy a specialised mattress
                             • Change the mattress                      • Install a drop-down rail
                                                                        • Install an over-bed pole

 KEEPING WARM IN             • Buy a heavier duvet                      •B
                                                                          uy an electric blanket
 BED                         • Buy thermal clothing                      (make sure it’s tested regularly)

 GETTING DRESSED             • Learn new ways of dressing               • Consider home support
                             • Buy alternative/adaptive clothing
                             • Buy simple gadgets: long-handled shoe
                                horn; dressing stick; button hook
                             •C  ontact n (see below) for an

 CUTTING YOUR NAILS          • Buy easy grip scissors                   • See a podiatrist

 TAKING YOUR                 •A
                               sk for an easy-open bottle              • Get an automatic pill dispenser
 TABLETS                     •K
                               eep a note of when you take a tablet    • Ask someone to prompt you
                               et a pill dispenser

 READING THE TIME            •B
                               uy a clock with large numbers           • Buy a clock that ‘speaks’

n Cornwall Council’s Assessment Team: 0300 1234 131

12               For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
In the kitchen

Teapot tipper                                                                         Large handled cutlery

Pan handle holder                                                                      Liquid level indicator

Perching stool                                                                Chopping board with spikes

 REACHING INTO           •R earrange your cupboards/surfaces       • Alter the spring in the doors
 CUPBOARDS               • Buy an Easi-Reacher or Handi-Reacher     • Lower or raise the cupboards

 USING TAPS AND          • Fit tap turners                          • Change switches
 SWITCHES                • Purchase Handi-Plugs                     • Raise or reposition taps
                                                                    • Fit lever taps or new taps
                                                                    • Alter the kitchen

 PREPARING/COOKING       • Sit at a table                           • Use a food processor
 FOOD                    • Consider kitchen gadgets including:     • Purchase a perching/high stool
                            knife with a thick handle; chopping     • Buy a trolley
                            board with spikes; pan handle holder;   • Raise/lower work surface
                            teapot tipper; lid gripper              • Make space under worktop for
                                                                       your knees when sitting

 MOVING AROUND           • Re-organise the furniture                • Review mobility equipment
 KITCHEN                                                            • Adapt the kitchen

 EATING AND              • Use large handled cutlery                • Buy a trolley
 DRINKING                • Use a non-slip mat                       •C
                                                                      onsider home support for meal
                         • Use a lightweight cup/mug                 times
                         • Use a cup with two handles
                         •C ontact n (see below) for an

 LAUNDRY/IRONING         • Install a wall-fixed ironing board       • Raise/lower washing machine

n Cornwall Council’s Assessment Team: 0300 1234 131

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                            13
In the bathroom

  Grab rail                                                                                   Shower board

 Tap turners                                                                  Toilet seat and support frame

Long-handled sponges                                                                       Raised toilet seat

 WASHING HANDS,            • Install tap turners                        • Install lever taps or new taps
 FACE AND BODY             • Buy a long-handled sponge                  • Purchase a stool
                           • Purchase a flannel strap                   • Raise or lower basin
                           •C ontact n (see below) for an assessment   • Consider home support

 HAVING A BATH             • Purchase a non-slip mat                    • Install a bath lift
                           • Buy a long-handled sponge                  • Use a hoist
                           • Use a half-step                            • Replace the bath with a shower
                           • Install grab rails                         • Convert to a wet room
                           • Use a bath board or bath seat              •C onsider home support

 DRYING YOURSELF           • Use a non-slip mat                         • Change the floor covering
                           • Purchase a towelling gown                  • Purchase a hot air body dryer

 USING THE TOILET          • Install a raised toilet seat               • Review mobility equipment
                           • Use a combined toilet seat and            • Consider home support
                             support frame
                           • Install a flush lever extension
                           •C ontact n (see below) for an assessment

 CLEANING TEETH            • Purchase a toothbrush gripper
                           • Buy an electric toothbrush
                           • Use a stool

 HAVING A SHOWER           • Have a strip wash                          • Use a shower board
                           • Use non-slip mats                          • Use a shower chair or stool
                           • Purchase a half-step                       • Replace shower controls
                           •C ontact n (see below) for an assessment   • Consider home support

n Cornwall Council’s Assessment Team: 0300 1234 131

14             For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Specialist equipment                             wheelchairs.
                                                  North Buildings, Royal Cornwall Hospital,
                                                  Truro TR1 3LQ
There is a range of equipment available to
                                                  Tel: 01872 254920
make life easier and to improve safety and
independence in the home, such as stair rails,
raised toilet seats and shower stools. These
items are often referred to as ‘simple aids for
                                                  Disability Cornwall
daily living’.
                                                  A user-led disabled people’s organisation
                                                  providing a range of services to empower,
Cornwall Council has partnered with the
                                                  assist and facilitate independent
Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) to provide
                                                  living and, when necessary, act as a
a quick and easy to use online guided advice
                                                  representative voice for disabled people,
service called AskSARA, which can help
                                                  their families and carers.
anyone who finds that they have difficulties
                                                  Units 1G/H Guildford Road Industrial
with everyday tasks.
                                                  Estate, Guildford Road,
                                                  Hayle TR27 4QZ
Visit to learn more
                                                  Tel: 01736 759500
about possible solutions or see page 11.
Once you have identified equipment that
might help with your support needs, use the
checklist on page 17 to make sure it’s right      Disability Information and Advice Line
for you.                                          Can help you to source any equipment for
                                                  needs you may have.
 Useful contacts                                 Tel: 01736 759500

 Action on Hearing Loss                           Hearing Loss Cornwall
 Unit 27, HQ Business Centre,                     Supports deaf and hard of hearing people
 237 Union Street,                                in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
 Plymouth PL1 3HQ                                 3 Walsingham Place,
 Tel: 01752 267925                                Truro TR1 2RP
 Web:              Tel: 01872 225868
                                                  Textphone: 01872 263664
 Cornwall Blind Association                       Email:
 Telephone support, befriending, advocacy         Web:
 and counselling schemes.
 The Sight Centre, Newham Road,                   Tremorvah Industries
 Truro TR1 2DP                                    Endeavours to match the best mobility
 Tel: 01872 261110                                equipment to people’s needs and
 Email:                aspirations.
 Web:                   Unit 8, Threemilestone Industrial Estate,
                                                  Truro TR4 9LD
 Cornwall Mobility Centre                         Tel: 01872 324340
 Assessments, information and advice              Email:
 for paediatric mobility and transportation,
 daily living equipment, driving and              Web:

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                  15

     Telecare is equipment that can detect falls,
     inactivity, smoke, flooding, gas or extreme
     temperatures in the home. Sensors, when
     activated, will connect to a response centre
     where trained operators will contact the
     individual through their home unit. They will     can also help monitor particular health
     take the most appropriate action, such as         conditions and reduce the need for hospital
     contacting a nominated responder, family          admission.
     member, carer, neighbour, doctor or the
     emergency services.                               You can buy telecare and assistive
                                                       technology from private companies and
     Telecare can allow users to regain confidence     organisations or, if you’re eligible through
     in their homes and remain independent.            an assessment (see below), Cornwall Council
     Relatives and carers are also reassured, safe     may be able to provide it for you. For
     in the knowledge that should an incident          further information, please visit
     occur, they will know about it. Some devices

     Support from the council
     The way councils provide services to              services. The assessment (which is free) will
     eligible adults and their carers is called        consider:
     personalisation. This term is used to describe
                                                       • how you can best be supported to live as
     a number of ways in which eligible adults
                                                         independently as possible;
     can receive a mixture of local authority
     and government money to pay for the care          • your home and how you are coping in it;
     services they need without direct council
     involvement.                                      • your emotional wellbeing;

                                                       • your diet; and
     If you approach the council for social care
     support, your needs and finances will be          • any health and medical treatments you
     assessed. If you have a carer, they can             need.
     be involved and have their needs assessed
     too.                                              You will need to contact Adult Social Services
                                                       to arrange an assessment. Call
     Your assessment                                  0300 1234 131.

     If you appear to have care or support needs,      Once Adult Social Services has an
     you have the legal right to an assessment         understanding of your care and financial
     of your care needs and finances. Councils         needs, the next stage is to determine what
     are statutorily obliged to provide this to you,
                                                        Continued on page 18.
     regardless of whether you access their

16   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Assistive technology checklist                                                                  © 2018 Care Choices Ltd

We suggest you consider the following questions before buying any assistive technology. If you are in any doubt
about what technology might help meet your needs, you can contact your council or visit

    You can download and print this checklist at

Suitability                                               Is it portable?

Does the equipment support your specific                   Will it need to be installed by a professional?
                                                           Can the retailer provide you with training in
Are you willing to use it?                                using the equipment?

Will it fit into your everyday life and routine?
Have you tried a demo of the equipment?
                                                           Will it work if you have pets or live with other
Do you understand what the equipment is for?              people, e.g. could someone else set off a sensor
Do you need to take it with you when you                   alarm by accident?
leave the house? Is it transportable?
                                                           Have you read reviews of the particular piece
Does the equipment have any limitations                    of equipment you are looking at? Consider
that would make it unsuitable for you?                    these before making your purchase.

Will it work alongside any assistive technology            Can you speak to someone who already uses it?
you already have? 
                                                           Does it require batteries? Find out how often
                                                           they will need changing and whether the
                                                           equipment will remind you to do this.

Is a simpler piece of equipment available,                 Is it durable? If you might drop it, is it likely
e.g. a pill case rather than an automated pill             to break?

Does the equipment need a plug socket, and                 Cost
will its wire cause a trip hazard?
                                                           Do you know how much it costs? 
Is it easy to use? Can you read/hear it clearly
and are any buttons big enough for you?                   Will you need to pay a monthly charge?

Are you able to use it? Are there any aspects              Are there alternative solutions that might
you don’t understand?                                     be free?


Visit for further assistance with your search for care                                       17
services you may be eligible for and who will      Assessments from hospital
     pay for them. The council will give you more
     information on eligibility and the national        If you have been admitted to hospital and
     eligibility criteria it uses at the time of your   you might need care on discharge, you
     assessment.                                        may be referred to the discharge team for
                                                        an assessment, which will take place on the
     Information on paying for care can be found        ward. The team may be made up of social
     on                 workers, carers’ officers, mental health
     social-care/adult-social-care/paying-for-          workers and housing officers.
     adult-social-care or on page 30 if you are
     receiving home care and          Whatever services you need on discharge,
     uk/health-and-social-care/adult-social-            Adult Social Services will work with you, your
     care/choosing-to-live-in-a-care-home or on         family and carers to either restart services
     page 48 if you are moving into a care home.        already in place prior to admission or to
                                                        provide the appropriate services if you are
     Personal Budgets                                  eligible.

     If you are eligible for support from the           Sometimes interim care packages are set
     council, you may be given a Personal Budget.       up to facilitate your discharge and you will
                                                        be reassessed by a community social worker
     A Personal Budget is the amount of money           within four to six weeks.
     that the council calculates it will cost to meet
     the support needs of eligible people. If you
     are eligible for a Personal Budget, the actual
                                                        Short Term Enablement and
     amount you receive will depend on your             Planning service (STEPs)
     eligible needs and your finances. The money
     should be spent in line with a support plan        STEPs is run by CORMAC in partnership with
     that has been agreed by both you and the           Cornwall Council. It works with vulnerable
     council and can be either a full or a partial      adults over 18 years old, who may be elderly,
     contribution to such costs. You may also           have a physical or sensory impairment, or
     choose to pay for additional support on top        have a learning disability or mental health
     of the budget. Any eventual contractual            needs.
     agreement for services is between you and
     your care provider, not the council.               The service can support you for a limited
                                                        period, following some sort of health or
     If you are eligible, a Personal Budget may be      social care crisis at home, where some
     taken:                                             temporary support at home may be required,
                                                        or when you are returning home from
     • in the form of a Direct (cash) Payment,
                                                        hospital and need some extra support or re-
       held directly by you or, where you lack
       capacity, by a ‘suitable person’;                enablement.

     • by way of an account held and managed            STEPs aims to produce better outcomes for
       by the council in line with your wishes; or      people through enablement, working with
     • as a mixture of the above.                       other health professionals if necessary to
                                                        help you regain maximum independence.
     Personal Budgets cannot currently be used to       The service can only be accessed once
     pay for residential care.                          you have had an assessment. To arrange

18   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
for an assessment, call 0300 1234 131.            of six weeks. If, after this, you have ongoing
Alternatively, you might be referred for an       care or support needs, the council will conduct
assessment by the hospital discharge team         an assessment and may help you to arrange
or other health care professionals.               any services you might need. There may be a
                                                  charge for these services.
After your period of support, you are likely
to be able to manage independently or with         Age UK Cornwall’s HomeCare Service
help from friends, family and the community.       can help with domestic tasks such as
If you need more support, the council will         cleaning and shopping, or by simply
carry out a needs assessment (see                  staying with someone to allow their carer                    to go out.
and-care-services or page 16 for more              Tel: 01872 266383
information).                                      Email:

Depending on your length of time with the          British Red Cross also provides a support
service and your financial circumstances, you      at home service to help people regain their
may be required to pay for, or contribute to,      independence.
the costs of the support provided.                 Unit 1, The Setons, Tolvaddon Business
                                                   Park, Pool TR14 0HX
You can get more advice by calling                 Tel: 01872 272878
0300 1234 131 and asking for the
assessments team.                                  Royal Voluntary Service Cornwall
                                                   and Devon can tailor support to your
Intermediate care                                 individual needs, including community
                                                   transport services to keep you mobile.
This aims to give recovery and rehabilitation      Tel: 01209 705159
support to help people regain their                Email: cornwalldevonhub@
independence when they come out of       
hospital or, just as importantly, prevent them
going unnecessarily into hospital.
                                                  NHS Continuing Healthcare
Intermediate care can be provided in your
own home or in a care home, depending             NHS Continuing Healthcare is a package of
on local policy and your specific needs. It       continuing care that is arranged and funded
can be provided by care staff, occupational       solely by the NHS. This is free of charge,
therapy and physiotherapy, with additional        wherever it is delivered. NHS Continuing
support provided by the local GP surgery,         Healthcare support may be provided in a
social workers and community nurses. This         care home or care home with nursing or in a
combined resource helps people to regain          person’s own home.
their independence and feel confident in
their ability to manage for themselves with       People eligible for NHS Continuing
any necessary additional support.                 Healthcare will have been assessed to have a
                                                  ‘primary health need’ and are likely to have
Intermediate care, including any care home        complex medical needs and substantial or
fees where relevant, is provided by the NHS       intense ongoing care needs. See page 49 for
and is free. It is usually limited to a maximum   more information.

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                        19
Personal health budgets                         between the person and their local NHS
                                                      team. The aim is to enable people with
     A personal health budget is an amount            long-term conditions and disabilities to have
     of money to support a person’s identified        greater choice, flexibility and control over the
     health needs. It is planned and agreed           healthcare and support they receive.

     Services for carers
     Who is a carer?                                 Having a carers’ assessment

     Carers regularly look after, help or support     Anyone who provides, or intends to provide,
     someone who wouldn’t be able to manage           regular unpaid support to someone who
     everyday life without their help. A carer        could not manage without their support has
     doesn’t have to be living with the person        the right to have their own needs assessed,
     they care for, and the help they give doesn’t    even if the person they care for has refused
     have to be physical. The carer may be caring     support services or an assessment of their
     for a partner, another relative, a friend or a   own needs.
     neighbour. For example, it may be someone
     who:                                             A carers’ assessment is an opportunity for
                                                      people to tell the council what they need as
     • is over 60;
                                                      a carer, and to find out what support might
     • is living with dementia;                       be available. The assessment is an essential
     • has a physical or learning disability or a     first step for carers to get the support they
       mental health condition;                       may need. It looks at:

     • has sight, hearing or communication            • the care the carer provides and how this
       difficulties;                                    affects their life;
     • has a long-term health condition; or           • any support they are getting now and
     • misuses drugs or alcohol.                        what else would help; and
                                                      • what they would like their support to
     The carer may be helping with:
     • personal care, such as washing and
       dressing;                                      The assessment can also give lots of
                                                      information about other services that might
     • going to the toilet or dealing with
                                                      help, and other ideas for support. The carer’s
                                                      assessment will show if the carer qualifies for
     • eating or taking medicines;                    support from Adult Social Services.
     • getting about at home or outside;
                                                      Carers’ Personal Budgets
     • practical help at home and keeping
       someone company; or
                                                      The carers’ Personal Budget is a single
     • emotional support or communicating.            payment that can be used towards the cost

20   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
of something specific that will support carers   Alternatively, contact a local carers’
in their caring role. For example, it could      organisation which may be able to help
be used for leisure activities, education or     undertake a benefit check.
training, or just to take a short break from
caring.                                          You can find out more about what
                                                 organisations support carers in Cornwall
When Adult Social Services considers a           by exploring
carers’ Personal Budget, it gives priority to
situations where there is a significant risk
of the carer not being able to continue to       There is a Dementia Carers Support Worker
provide care if they do not get some support.    who supports carers in the west of Cornwall
The amount a carer could get depends             who are looking after a person with
on their needs identified by their carers’       dementia. To contact the worker, please
assessment. The money is not taxed and it        telephone Adult Social Services on
will not affect any benefits.                    0300 1234 131.

Respite at home                                 Carer emergency card scheme

Home-based respite services give carers a        Adult Social Services, in conjunction with
break from their caring responsibilities. A      Lifeline, runs an innovative, free scheme to
care worker can come in to look after the        ensure that alternative plans can be put
person being cared for, so the carer can have    into place in the event of a carer having
some time to themselves. The breaks could        an emergency that leaves them unable to
be regular or just when needed.                  carry out their caring role.

Respite at home is considered to be a service    Carers carry a card with emergency contact
for the person who is being cared for. If they   details and, if an emergency arises, they
have a Personal Budget for their own needs       can call the number on the back of the
(see page 18) they could use that money          card. Cornwall Lifeline, answering the
to pay for it. A financial assessment of the     call, will then put into place the agreed
person being cared for will confirm whether      emergency plan to support the person
they need to pay towards the cost of this        being cared for.
                                                 The service is free, and in many instances
Benefits                                        the emergency contact who is called by
                                                 Lifeline is a neighbour, friend or family
Carers may want to explore whether they          member. This gives people the peace of
are entitled to Carer’s Allowance – currently    mind that in the event of an emergency,
£62.70 per week but this may change over         procedures are in place to look after the
the life of this Directory.                      person being cared for.

Carers may also qualify for Carer’s Premium      For more information, call 01872
or Carer’s Credit depending on their             324369 or email
eligibility. The Government’s website,           Alternatively, apply for a card online using has more information                  the Emergency Carer’s Card application
on benefits, including carers’ benefits.         form at

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                    21
Resource for those supporting                      practitioners supporting children from birth
     disabled children                                 to 25 years with additional needs. As well as
                                                        guidance, policy and signposting, there is a
                         My Family, Our Needs           lifestyle section for parents covering topics
                         is an online resource          such as health and wellbeing, work, family
                         providing impartial            and relationships. Visit
     information for parents, carers and      

     Care in your own home
     Carefully chosen home care with a good             tailored to meet your needs – from a visit
     quality provider is an excellent way to retain     once a day to a much greater amount of
     your freedom and independence, whilst              support.
     getting the help you need to stay happy and
     safe. It can offer the opportunity to stay at      Even those with quite significant and
     home, in your own familiar surroundings,           debilitating medical conditions can get
     and to retain a quality of life you might have     skilled personal care that can enable them
     feared lost.                                       to stay in their own homes. Some agencies
                                                        will provide live-in care, where a care worker
     Why choose home care?                             will stay with you at home to support you
                                                        throughout the day and night.
     Reasons for choosing home care can vary.
     Sometimes after a stay in hospital, someone        A list of all home care agencies operating in
     might find they need some help whilst they         Cornwall starts on page 31.
     recuperate. Others can find that a long-term
     condition or disability means they can no
     longer cope and they need a bit of help.
                                                        Finding the right support

     After a stay in hospital someone may carry         This Directory offers a telephone and website
     out an assessment of your situation to see         service allowing you to search by postcode
     if home care will benefit you. You and your        or region for care homes, care homes with
     family will be fully involved in looking at what   nursing and home care providers that meet
     will suit you best if you’d like them to be.       your requirements across the country. Your
                                                        search can be sent to you by post or email, or
     Alternatively, you or those close to you might     discussed with you over the telephone.
     notice changes in your ability to manage the
     day-to-day things you normally cope with           If you are searching online, the results can
     easily, like preparing meals or looking after      be saved and emailed to others. You can also
     yourself. If this happens, contacting Adult        view an electronic version of this Directory
     Social Services is a good first step towards       on the site and have it read to you by using
     finding help.                                      the ‘Browsealoud’ function.

     How home care can help you                        Whatever your care needs, this Directory
     The level of home care provided can be             and the Care Choices telephone and website

22   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
service will be able to point you in the best   needs too.
direction, however you would like care
information presented. Call 0800 389 2077       The benefits of using a regulated agency
or visit                  include:

                                                • assessing your care needs and tailoring a
The Care Quality Commission
                                                  plan to meet those needs;
( is responsible for checking
that any care provided meets essential          • advertising, interviewing and screening
standards of quality and safety. Further          suitability of workers;
information is on page 53.
                                                • arranging necessary insurance cover;
The United Kingdom Homecare Association         • providing training and development for
(UKHCA) requires its members to comply            care workers;
with a code of practice. This code includes a
commitment to treat customers with dignity      • managing workers’ pay, including
and respect and operate at a level above the      compliance with the National Minimum
legal minimum required in legislation.            Wage;

                                                • managing employment relationships,
Social care regulations do not apply to
                                                  including sickness, absence and
cleaners, handymen or gardeners. However,
                                                  disciplinary matters; and
some home care agencies are increasingly
providing staff who can help meet these         • managing health and safety issues.

Living with dementia at home
If you are concerned about persistent           • meals at home;
forgetfulness or memory difficulties, it        • community equipment;
is important to consult a GP. They can
undertake an initial examination and            • extra care sheltered housing; and
refer you to a memory clinic for further        • carers’ support groups.
investigation if necessary.
                                                Family support
The various types of support available to
you and your carer are likely to involve NHS    If you know someone who is worried about
services, Adult Social Services and voluntary   their memory, encourage them to visit their
agencies. Some examples of services and         GP.
support to help people living with dementia
include:                                        The more support you can give someone, the
                                                better life with dementia can be, especially
• specialist day centres;
                                                in the early years. Focus on what the person
• respite care or short breaks;                 can do, not what they cannot do, help with
                                                little errands or with cooking, listen to the
• assistive technology and community alarms;
                                                person with dementia, and find out more
• home care;                                    about the condition.

Visit for further assistance with your search for care                    23
When someone is living with dementia, they       dementia to stay living in their own home for
     need:                                            as long as possible. This may mean that they
                                                      require some support services at home.
     • support to live their life;
     • reassurance that they are still valued and     The person living with dementia will respond
       that their feelings matter;                    best to the same care staff who know them
                                                      well. Continuity of care can be provided by
     • freedom from as much external stress as        either care agencies or carers employed
       possible; and                                  directly by the person or his or her family.
     • appropriate activities and stimulation to
       help them to remain alert and motivated        Specialist dementia day centres
       for as long as possible.
                                                      A good day care service will be able to
     Dementia Friends                                offer a range of activities and support that
                                                      will enable the person with dementia to
     People with dementia sometimes need a            retain skills and remain part of their local
     helping hand to go about their daily lives       community.
     and feel included in their local community.
     Dementia Friends is giving people an             Specialist day centres for people with
     understanding of dementia and the                dementia should be organised and run with
     small things they can do that can make a         their needs in mind, aiming to build on their
     difference to people living with dementia        strengths and abilities. Activities may include
     – from helping someone find the right bus        outings, entertainment, personal care, meals,
     to spreading the word about dementia. See        hairdressing and support for carers. for further
     information.                                     Attendance at day centres can be offered
                                                      from just a few hours a week to a number
     Respite care                                    of days. Contact the council or your local
                                                      Alzheimer’s Society office for more details,
                                                      see ‘Useful local contacts’ on page 71.
     Spouses, partners and relatives who care for
     a person with dementia may require a break
     from their caring responsibilities. This is
                                                      Memory cafés
     known as ‘respite care’ and may be a regular
                                                      There are memory cafés in most of the
     break of a few hours a week or a period of a
                                                      major towns in Cornwall, which provide an
     few weeks. It may be planned or be required
                                                      opportunity for people with memory issues
     in an emergency and can involve the person
                                                      and those who care for them to drop in
     with dementia attending a day centre or a
                                                      for a chat and a coffee. They usually offer
     care worker visiting the person’s home to
                                                      reminiscence-based activities and health
     enable the carer to have a break. Contact the
                                                      and social care professionals are on hand
     council to see if you are eligible for support
                                                      to answer questions and offer advice in an
     with arranging these services, see page 16
                                                      informal setting.
     for information on assessments.
                                                       Bodmin Memory Café
     Care at home                                     Bodmin Christian Fellowship Centre,
                                                       Berrycombe Road, Bodmin PL31 2NS
     It can often be best for a person with

24   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Tel: 01208 77586                            Tel: 01637 831347
Open: Second and fourth Thursday of         Open: First and third Monday of every
every month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm               month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Bude Memory Café                            Downderry Memory Café
The Parkhouse Centre, Bude EX23 8LD         The Coastal Zone, Downderry,
Tel: 01288 356060                           Looe PL11 3JZ
Open: First and third Friday of every       Tel: 01503 241003
month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                     Open: Every other Thursday, 2.30pm to
Callington Memory Café
Callington Town Hall, Callington PL17 7BD   Falmouth ‘Thanks for the Memory’
Tel: 01579 383066 or 07753 728697           Café
Open: Every other Saturday, 2.00pm to       Emmanuel Baptist Church, Western
4.00pm                                      Terrace, Falmouth TR11 4QJ
                                            Tel: 0845 475 3319
Camborne Memory Café                        Open: First, third and fifth Tuesday of the
All Saints Church Community Centre,         month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Church View Road, Tuckingmill,
Camborne TR14 8RQ                           Falmouth Memory Café
Tel: 01872 277963                           Emmanuel Baptist Church, Western
First and third Wednesday of every month,   Terrace, Falmouth TR11 4QJ
1.30pm to 3.30pm                            Tel: 0845 475 3319
                                            Open: Second and fourth Tuesday of the
Camelford Top Town Memory Café              month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Camelford Hall, Clease Road,
Camelford PL32 9QX                          Fowey Memory Café
Tel: 01840 212 780                          Squires Field Community Centre, Park
Open: Every second and third Wednesday      Road, Fowey PL23 1EF
2.00pm to 4.00pm                            Tel: 01726 832864
                                            Open: Every other Thursday, 2.00pm to
Carnon Downs Memory Café                    4.00pm
Carnon Downs Village Hall, Tregye Road,
Carnon Downs TR3 6GH                        Helston Memory Café
Tel: 01872 864717                           Hens Horn Court, off Station Road,
Open: First and third Thursday of every     Helston TR13 8TY
month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                     Tel: 07974 728435
                                            Open: First and third Tuesday of every
Cornwall College Memory Café                month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Trevenson Restaurant, Camborne Campus,
Trevenson Road, Redruth TR15 3RD            Isles of Scilly Memory Café
Tel: 07468 701368                           Carn Gwavel, St Mary’s,
Open: Thursdays, 2.30pm to 4.00pm           Isles of Scilly TR21 0NA
                                            Tel: 01720 422663
Crantock Memory Café                        Open: Every Wednesday and Friday,
Crantock Village Hall, Crantock TR8 5TR     2.00pm to 4.30pm

Visit for further assistance with your search for care              25
Launceston Memory Café                       Newquay St Michael’s Memory Café
     Launceston Methodist Church,                 St Michael’s Church, St Michael’s Road,
     Launceston PL15 8BA                          Newquay TR7 1QZ
     Tel: 01566 774425 or 07970 045310            Tel: 01637 873463
     Open: Every other Saturday, 2.00pm to        Open: First and third Tuesday of every
     4.00pm                                       month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm

     Liskeard Memory Café                         Padstow Memory Café
     Wesley Methodist Church Hall, 13 Baytree     St John’s Church, Padstow PL28 8AU
     Hill, Liskeard PL14 4BG                      Tel: 01841 540373
     Tel: 01579 345776 or 07787 096482            Open: Second and fourth Tuesday of the
     Open: First Friday of every month, 2.00pm    month, 1.30pm to 3.30pm, closed in August
     to 4.00pm
                                                  Pelynt Memory Café
     Looe Community Memory Café                   Pelynt Methodist Chapel, 2 Jubilee Hill,
     St Martin’s Hall, Looe PL13 1NX              Pelynt, Looe PL13 2JZ
     Tel: 01503 24414 or 01503 264846             Tel: 01503 220307
     Open: Second Friday of every month,          Open: Third Thursday of every month,
     2.00pm to 4.00pm                             2.00pm to 4.00pm

     Lostwithiel Memory Café                      Penryn Memory Café
     Lostwithiel Community Centre, Oasis Suite,   Penryn Methodist Church Hall, Higher
     Liddicoat Road, Lostwithiel PL22 0HE         Market Street, Penryn TR13 9AQ
     Tel: 01208 871470 or 07768866949             Email:
     Open: Every other Thursday, 2.00pm to        Open: First and third Thursday of
     4.00pm                                       every month

     Millbrook Memory Café                        Pensilva Memory Café
     The Scout Hall, Fore Street, Millbrook,      St John’s Church, Higher Road,
     Torpoint PL10 1BA                            Pensilva PL14 5NF
     Tel: 01752 822090                            Tel: 01579 362698; 07853 399829;
     Open: First Tuesday of every month,          01579 363461 or 07971 183458
     2.00pm to 4.00pm                             Open: Fourth Thursday of every month,
                                                  2.00pm to 4.00pm
     Mullion Memory Café
     The Sunshine Café, Mullion Methodist         Penzance Memory Café
     Church, Mullion TR12 7EJ                     Hope Church Hall, Landsdowne Place,
     Tel: 01326 240257                            Alverton, Penzance TR18 4QB
     Open: First and third Friday of every        Tel: 07974 728435
     month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                      Open: First and third Thursday of every
                                                  month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm (singalong
     Newquay Memory Café                          memory café); Second and fourth
     St Columb Minor Church Hall,                 Thursday of every month, 2.00pm to
     St Columb Minor, Newquay TR7 3EY             4.00pm (activity café)
     Tel: 07968 960694
     Open: Second and fourth Thursday of          Perranporth Memory Café
     every month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                St Michael’s Church Hall, Boscawen Road,

26   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
Perranporth TR6 0JX                        St Austell Memory Café
Tel: 01872 572050 or 07944 348169          Cuddra WI Hall, Holmbush,
Open: Second and fourth Monday of every    St Austell PL25 3JN
month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                    Tel: 01726 64734
                                           Open: First and third Monday of every
Perranwell Memory Café                     month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Perranarworthal Village Hall, Perranwell
Station, Perranwell TR3 7NJ                St Columb Major Memory Café
Tel: 01872 862115 or 07710 291327          Columba Centre, West Street,
Open: Second and fourth Tuesday of every   St Columb Major TR9 6AE
month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                    Tel: 01637 889682
                                           Open: Every Thursday, 1.00pm to 3.00pm
Polperro Memory Café
The Methodist Church, Fore Street,         St Ives and Carbis Bay Memory Café
Polperro PL13 2JJ                          Memorial Hall, Trencrom Lane, Carbis Bay,
Tel: 01503 272473                          St Ives TR26 2TA
Open: Every third Friday, 2.00pm to        Tel: 07851 111496
4.00pm                                     Open: First and third Thursday of every
                                           month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Probus Memory Café
Probus Village Hall, Fore Street,          St Just Memory Café
Probus TR2 4NB                             St Just Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street,
Email:                  St Just TR19 7LT
Open: Second and fourth Wednesday of       Tel: 01736 786043 or 01736 786067
every month, 2.30pm to 4.30pm              Open: Second and fourth Tuesday of every
                                           month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm
Redruth Memory Café
Community Centre, Foundry Row,             Torpoint Memory Café
Redruth TR15 2SP                           St James Church Hall, St James Road,
Tel: 01872 277963                          Torpoint PL11 2BL
Open: Second and fourth Wednesday of       Email:
every month, 1.30pm to 3.30pm              Open: Third Wednesday of every month,
                                           2.00pm to 4.00pm
Saltash Memory Café
Burraton Methodist Church,                 Truro Memory Café
Liskeard Road,                             All Saints Church Hall, Highertown,
Saltash PL12 4RH                           Truro TR1 3LD
Tel: 01752 845261                          Tel: 01872 552634
Open: Second and fourth Wednesday of       Open: Second and fourth Friday of every
every month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm              month, 1.30pm to 3.30pm

St Agnes Memory Café                       Wadebridge Memory Café
Miners and Mechanics Institute,            John Betjeman Centre, Southern Way,
Vicarage Road, St Agnes TR5 0TL            Wadebridge PL27 7BX
Tel: 01872 552689                          Tel: 01208 841542 or 07917 195372
Open: First and third Wednesday of every   Open: Second and fourth Saturday of
month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm                    every month, 2.00pm to 4.00pm

Visit for further assistance with your search for care           27
Alzheimer’s Society                              tools that enable them to maintain their
                                                       independence and sense of wellbeing. It will
     This leading charity works to improve the         also refer people to local support services
     quality of life of people affected by dementia.   within the community.

     If you have concerns about any form of            Singing for the Brain® Truro
     dementia, please contact your local office for    Singing for the Brain® uses music to bring
     information and support and access to local       people together in a friendly and stimulating
     services. See page 71 for contact details.        social environment. Singing is not only an
                                                       enjoyable activity, but can provide people
     Telephone Befriending                             with dementia, along with their carers, with
     Telephone befriending aims to improve             an opportunity to express themselves and
     the quality of life and reduce feelings of        socialise with others in a fun and supportive
     isolation for people living with dementia and     group. Participation is entirely down to
     their families, friends and carers. Telephone     how comfortable attendees feel and no
     befriending is carried out by trained and         singing or music experience is necessary.
     dedicated volunteers, who will telephone at a     Every Tuesday, 2.00pm to 4.00pm, All Saints
     prearranged time. This service offers support     Church Hall, Highertown, Truro TR1 3LD
     for both people living with dementia and
     their families and carers.                        Information provision
                                                       Alzheimer’s Society runs an information
     Side by Side                                      provision service from its Truro Office. This
     Side by Side helps people with dementia           can provide information and support to
     to keep doing the things they love with the       anyone with concerns about any forms of
     support of a volunteer. By doing things like      dementia or memory loss. This includes
     going for a walk, attending a football match,     people with dementia, their carers, relatives,
     or joining a local class together, volunteers     friends and professionals. This service can
     can support people with dementia to take up       offer free publications, Alzheimer’s Society
     hobbies and get out and about. The focus          factsheets and make referrals to local
     of the service is to build upon the existing      services. The information worker will also
     skills and strengths of people with dementia;     attend local events to provide communities
     supporting them to get out and about              with vital information about living well with
     and encouraging them to be part of their          dementia.
                                                        For all the above, call 01872 277963.
     Dementia Support Service                           Alzheimer’s Society’s National Dementia
     – South East Cornwall                              Helpline is available on 0300 222 1122
     South East Cornwall currently benefits             and can provide information, support,
     from two dementia support workers. This            guidance and signposting to other
     service is designed to help people living with     appropriate organisations. The Helpline is
     dementia, and their carers, deal with any          open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to
     challenges they may face and help them             Friday and 10.00am to 4.00pm Saturday
     prepare for the future through individualised      and Sunday.
     one-on-one support.
                                                       For more information on care homes for
     This service provides people with the             people with dementia, see page 46.

28   For assistance with finding care and support, call Care Choices on 0800 389 2077
You can also read
Next slide ... Cancel