Night Classes - Night Courses Cork College Commerce Cork
2 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PRINCIPAL’S ADDRESS Welcome to the Cork College of Commerce, College of Further Education located in the heart of Cork City, a short walk from the bus and train station. Here at Cork College of Commerce we offer a broad range of evening courses, tailored to meet the demands of the workplace. Whether you are a first time student or looking to upskill in a particular area of interest, we will help you reach your goal. As you browse through our prospectus I am sure you will find a course that will provide you with the foundation and impetus to take the next step in your learning journey.
We hope that you will enjoy your experience of being a student of the college.
Hoping to meet you soon. Helen Ryan Principal CONTACT DETAILS PRINCIPAL: Helen Ryan DEPUTY PRINCIPALS Maeve O’Callaghan Ann Fanning Gobnait Burke DIRECTOR OF ADULT EDUCATION Ann Corcoran NIGHT CLASSES DEPARTMENT CONTACT DETAILS Ann Mannion Course Director in charge of Monday Night E: email@example.com T: 021-422 3849 Kate McAuliffe Course Director in charge of Tuesday Night E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 021 422 3846 Anna McCarthy Course Director in charge of Wednesday Night E: email@example.com T: 021 422 3848 CONTACT DETAILS T: 021 422 2100 (main switch) F: 021 427 5075 W: evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie COLLEGE CALENDAR The college is closed during mid-term breaks, Bank Holidays, Christmas and Easter Holiday.
Full timetable may be obtained from the adult education department.
3 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & TEACHER TRAINING COURSES 8 Accounting Technicians Ireland (ATI) 8 Business Management (QQI Level 6) 8 Counselling Skills (Cork ETB) 9 Customer Service (QQI Level 5) 9 Digital Marketing (QQI Level 5) 10 Employment Law (QQI Level 6) 10 Event Management (QQI Level 6) 11 Human Resource Management (QQI Level 6) 11 Legal Practice & Procedures (QQI Level 5) 11 Medical Terminology (QQI Level 5) 11 Medical Package Socrates Software 12 Nursing Diploma in Health Services Management (An Bord Altranais) 12 Nursing Healthcare Regulation (An Bord Altranais) 13 Project Management (QQI Level 6) 13 Reception & Frontline Office Skills (QQI Level 5) 14 Retail Display (QQI Level 5) 14 Speech and Drama Diplomas Year 1 (AVCM) 15 Speech and Drama Diplomas Year 2 (TDVCM) 15 Start your own Business (QQI Level 5) NEW 15 Supervisory Management (QQI Level 6) 16 Team Leadership & Conflict Management (QQI Level 6) NEW 16 Tourism Principles and Practice (QQI Level 5) 17 Training Development (QQI Level 6) LEAVING CERTIFICATE SUBJECTS 18 Irish (Honours) 18 Maths (Pass) BUSINESS TERM COURSES 18 Book Keeping and Accounts 18 Data Protection & GDPR: (How to get your Workplace in Order!) NEW 18 How to Start up and Run a Small Business 19 Managing People Effectively at Work 19 Marketing Sales 19 Practical Accounting for Small Business 19 Receptionist Skills 20 Stock Exchange 20 Writing Skills and Public Relations CHILDCARE, HEALTHCARE, THERAPEUTIC PLAY & PSYCHOLOGY COURSES 22 Children with Additional Needs (QQI Level 5) 22 Child Health & Wellbeing (QQI Level 5) 23 Child Development (QQI Level 5) 23 Creative Arts for Early Childhood (QQI Level 5) 23 School Age Childcare (QQI Level 5 ) NEW 23 Early Care & Education Practice (QQI Level 5) 24 Early Childhood Education & Play (QQI Level 5) 24 Human Growth & Development (QQI Level 5) NEW 24 Work Experience & Communications (QQI Level 5) 24 Childhood Social, Legal & Health Studies (QQI Level 6) 25 Child Development (QQI Level 6) 25 Creative Studies for Special Needs (QQI Level 6) NEW 25 Early Childhood Curriculum (QQI Level 6) 25 Early Learning Environment (QQI Level 6) 26 Personal & Professional Development (QQI Level 6) 26 Special Needs Assisting (QQI Level 6) 26 Supervision in Childcare (QQI Level 6) THERAPEUTIC PLAY 26 Therapeutic Play (QQI Level 6) APPLIED EARLY CHILDHOOD STUDIES - LEVEL 7 & 8 DEGREE (PART-TIME) 27 Bachelor of Arts in Applied Early Childhood Studies Dundalk Institute of Technology (Level 7 Degree) 28 Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Leadership & Management for the Early Years Sector (Level 8 Degree) HEALTHCARE (QQI LEVEL 5) 29 Care of the Older Person (QQI Level 5) 29 Care Skills (QQI Level 5) 30 Care Support (QQI Level 5) 30 Infection Prevention & Control (QQI Level 5) 30 Intellectual Disability Studies (QQI Level 5) 30 Palliative Care Support (QQI Level 5) 31 Safety & Health at Work (QQI Level 5) 31 Understanding Mental Health (QQI Level 5) NEW 31 Work Experience & Communications (QQI Level 5) NUTRITION & HEALTH (QQI LEVEL 6) 32 Nutrition & Health (QQI Level 6) ADDICTION STUDIES, PSYCHOLOGY & SOCIAL STUDIES 32 NUI Certificate in Addiction Studies (Level 7) 33 NUI Certificate in Psychology (Level 7) 34 NUI Diploma in Social Studies (Level 7) SPORTS & SUBSTANCE ABUSE (QQI LEVEL 5&6) 33 Sports Psychology (QQI Level 6) 34 Substance Use Issues in Youth & Community Work Settings (QQI Level 5) PSYCHOLOGY TERM COURSES 35 Autism Certificate-Living with Autism 35 Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Introduction 35 Lámh (Module One) NEW 36 Psychology in Everyday Life 36 Speech & Language (Lets Just Talk and Play) CONTENTS
4 COMPLEMENTARY & BEAUTY THERAPY (QQI/ITEC) 38 Anatomy & Physiology (QQI Level 5) 38 Certificate in Make-Up (ITEC Level 2) 39 Certificate in Manicure & Pedicure (ITEC Level 2) 39 Holistic Massage Diploma (ITEC Level 3) 40 Reflexology Diploma (ITEC Level 3) 40 Waxing Certificate (ITEC Level 2) COMPLEMENTARY & BEAUTY THERAPY (TERM COURSES) 41 Advanced Class - Mastering the Art of Make-Up 42 Complementary Therapies and Relaxation 42 Nails – Introduction 42 Make Up & Upstyling for Special Occasions 42 Make Up Techniques COMPUTER COURSES (QQI & ECDL Certified) 44 Advanced Computer Skills (Cork ETB) 44 Computer Skills (Cork ETB) 45 Computerised Accounts using Sage Line 50 (QQI Level 6) 45 European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) 45 Payroll Manual & Computerised (QQI Level 5) 45 Web Authoring (QQI Level 5) COMPUTERS & PHOTOGRAPHY (TERM COURSES) 46 AutoCAD 46 Computerised Accounts using sage line 50 46 Digital Photography (Improvers) 46 Excel 47 iPad (Beginner to Intermediate Level) 47 Keyboard Skills 47 Java Programming for Beginners 47 Medical Package Socrates Software 47 Photography (Introduction) 48 Python Programming for Beginners 48 Social Media 48 Web Design 48 Word Processing LANGUAGE STUDIES COURSES 50 English Absolute Beginners 50 English Intermediate Level B1 50 English Upper Intermediate Level B2 50 English as a Foreign Language (Conversation & Vocabulary) 51 English for Business 51 English (Perfecting your Pronunciation) 51 English (First Certificate in English FCE/CAE) 51 French Beginners 51 French Continuation 52 German Beginners 52 German Continuation 52 Irish for Beginners 52 Italian (Advanced) 53 Italian (Beginners / Continuation) 53 Italian Intermediate 53 Italian Intermediate Plus 53 Polish Beginners 53 Portuguese Beginners 54 Portuguese Continuation 54 Russian Beginners 54 Spanish Beginners 54 Spanish Continuation GENERAL INTEREST & LEISURE COURSES 56 Acting for Beginners 56 Baking & Desserts 56 Cakes NEW 56 Creative Writing 57 Drama for Fun 57 Easy Healthy Cooking 57 Guitar for Beginners 57 Interior Design & Decoration (Introduction) 57 Meditation & the Practice of Mindfulness 58 Mindfulness 58 Painting with Acrylic 58 Personal Development 58 Yoga Beginners Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie CONTENTS
- 5 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie ENROLMENT DETAILS ENROLMENT OPTIONS You may choose one of the following when enrolling for a course.
- Enrol ONLINE evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie to avoid queues. If you enrol online, there is no need to come to the college.
- By post or at the college during office hours 9.00am-4.30pm. Payment may be made at the main office in the college.
- By Telephone 021-4222100 to pay by VISA, Mastercard or Laser.
- An Evening Registration for Certified courses will take place 6.30 - 7.00pm on Tuesday 10th September 2019 (Come along and meet the tutors.
- College Calendar Academic Year September 2019 to May 2020. College will be closed for the October Mid Term Break, Christmas Break, February Mid Term Break, Easter & Bank Holidays. REFUND POLICY A full refund will be given to all applicants for courses, which do not proceed. Students who attend one night of a course are not entitled to a refund. We regret we cannot entertain any other requests for refunds. GENERAL INFORMATION / TERMS & CONDITIONS
- All fees must be paid for before classes commence.
- Students cannot attend a class without an official receipt.
- Fees do not cover the cost of materials, students will be expected to bear the cost of materials where costs arise.
- Fees are strictly non-refundable.
- Receipts must be presented to the class teacher on the first night of tuition so that enrolment details may be entered on the class register.
- Where course fees are being funded by an employer / government or community agency the student should complete the application form and return completed and stamped with the company stamp (copy given to tutor on first night).
- Once you have enrolled, your course commencement date will be printed on your receipt.
- No further contact will be made from the college unless the class is deferred.
- Your classroom will be posted up in the Main Foyer of the college. Students are required to have 80% attendance to be entered for Certification. Available Discounts
- €10 discount if you enrol online
- Social Welfare 30% reduction in tuition cost for certified courses only (does not include outside colleges, ie. NUI, IT’s , ITEC etc)
- Old Age Pension 50% reduction in tuition cost
- Day Students 40% reduction in tuition cost
- Proof of SW/OAP/Student ID to be included with application Restricted availability on certain courses where discounts do not apply Terms and Conditions
- Discounts apply to tuition costs for certain courses only.
- Discounts cannot be applied for through the online registration system for OAP/Social Welfare/Day Student.
- Proof of discount must be provided at registration in the college main reception. GARDA VETTING Cork College of Commerce is committed to practices which safeguard the welfare of students, young people and vulnerable adults. Garda Vetting is conducted on students attending courses where it is identified that possible interaction with children and vulnerable adults is a feature of the course. Any information disclosed by the Garda Central Vetting Unit may be shared with the appropriate decision making personnel in prospective work experience organizations. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all information is correct as any omission will mean a delay in the processing of the application and it is their responsibility to ensure that they have up to date Garda Vetting.
MANUAL & PATIENT HANDLING Please note that Manual and Patient Handling modules are not included as part of the Childcare/Healthcare courses.
6 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie EXAMINATIONS Examinations may be held during January, the last two weeks of April and first two weeks of May with some examinations during the day time. Examination Timetables/Rules and Regulations are available for download from the College website evening. corkcollegeofcommerce.ie – under Assessment Handbook for Learners on the sharepoint site. It is the students responsibility to access this information, familiarise themselves with rules and regulations and to ensure that they are correctly registered with the different Institutes and entered for examinations.
Please note examination dates are at the discretion of the Examination Board and may be subject to change. Photo Identification (drivers licence, passport or any other form of Photo identification) will be required for each examination. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the relevant Course Director if they wish to repeat or resit their examinations. Examination Results Students who complete a module in December will receive their results in June. The college is not authorised to release examination results until the External Authenticator ratifies such results. Examination Results are then approved by the Examination Board and can only then be given to students in June.
- N.B. Please note students will not be entered for examinations nor will they receive their results or certificate unless full fees are paid to the college. SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS Students with Special Requirements must fill in QA 6.6b Evidence of Disability/Specific Need Form which can be downloaded from your Assessment Handbook for Learners. Please return with documented evidence before 2nd December 2019 to Course Director in charge of your night. ASSIGNMENT/PROJECT SUBMISSIONS
- Students are advised to keep a Hard Copy of all work submitted and to save their work on a USB Pen.
- Coursework will not be returned to students once submitted for assessment. Dates for submission of coursework will be provided by the tutor at the beginning of the course and these dates must be strictly adhered to. Coursework cannot be accepted after the specified dates. Students must have 80% attendance in college to be entered for certification.
LEAVING CERTIFICATE STUDENTS E10 FORM Students wishing to sit Leaving Certificate Examinations in June 2020 must register directly with the Department of Education and Science for their Leaving Certificate examination. Students with special requirements must fill in a reasonable accommodation form which can be downloaded from www.examinations.ie. It is the student’s responsibility to register directly with the Department. NON EU INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Non EU International Students must produce proof that they have the right to remain in the state before enrolling on courses eg Stamp 4 ID Card.
It is the students responsibility to ensure that they have the correct documentation before enrolling. CHANGE OF ADDRESS Please inform the college of any change of address to ensure the prompt delivery of all correspondence, examination results, certificates etc. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com WORK EXPERIENCE Please note it is the student’s responsibility to obtain work experience if a work experience component is part of the course. All work experience must be completed in a registered setting. Your work experience teacher will give you further details. Students must pass All sections of work experience.
CERTIFICATION The college reserves the right to withhold certificates/results from students whose accounts have not been paid in full (Tuition, Exam Fees). COURSE SUGGESTIONS Cork College of Commerce welcomes suggestions and requests for specific programmes aimed at meeting the needs of our business and community partners. Courses can be designed and tailored to meet the specific requirements and training needs of businesses. If you have an idea for a specific programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Cork College of Commerce offers a range of excellent professional courses, certified and accredited by nationally and internationally recognised examining and professional bodies.
7 Night Classes 2019/2020 PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES 8 Accounting Technicians Ireland (ATI) 8 Business Management (QQI Level 6) 8 Counselling Skills (Cork ETB) 9 Customer Service (QQI Level 5) 9 Digital Marketing (QQI Level 5) 10 Employment Law (QQI Level 6) 10 Event Management (QQI Level 6) 11 Human Resource Management (QQI Level 6) 11 Legal Practice & Procedures (QQI Level 5) 11 Medical Terminology (QQI Level 5) 11 Medical Package Socrates Software 12 Nursing Diploma in Health Services Management (An Bord Altranais) 12 Nursing Healthcare Regulation (An Bord Altranais) 13 Project Management (QQI Level 6) 13 Reception & Frontline Office Skills (QQI Level 5) 14 Retail Display (QQI Level 5) 14 Speech and Drama Diplomas Year 1 (AVCM) 15 Speech and Drama Diplomas Year 2 (TDVCM) 15 Start your own Business (QQI Level 5) NEW 15 Supervisory Management (QQI Level 6) 16 Team Leadership & Conflict Management (QQI Level 6) NEW 16 Tourism Principles and Practice (QQI Level 5) 17 Training Development (QQI Level 6) LEAVING CERTIFICATE SUBJECTS 18 Irish (Honours) 18 Maths (Pass) BUSINESS TERM COURSES 18 Book Keeping and Accounts 18 Data Protection & GDPR: (How to get your Workplace in Order!) NEW 18 How to Start up and Run a Small Business 19 Managing People Effectively at Work 19 Marketing Sales 19 Practical Accounting for Small Business 19 Receptionist Skills 20 Stock Exchange 20 Writing Skills and Public Relations
8 Accounting Technicians Ireland (ATI) Duration: 2 Years Thinking about becoming an Accounting Technician? This is the course for you. Accounting Technicians Ireland qualification is your passport to a rewarding career in accountancy or business. Obtain this professional qualification in just two years. Accounting Technicians are qualified to work in many accountancy roles with strong demand for qualified accounting technicians in the workplace. Year 1 Foundation Tues Financial Accounting 1 6.30-8.30pm Tues Business Management 8.30-10.00pm Wed Taxation 1 7.00-8.30pm Wed Law & Ethics 8.30-10.00pm Year 2 Admission Mon Advanced Taxation 2 7.00-8.30pm Mon Advanced Financial Accounting 2 8.30-10.00pm Wed **Integrated Accounting Systems 6.30-8.30pm Wed Management Accounting 8.30-10.00pm Tuition Fee: €750 per year or €200 per module Accreditation: Accounting Technicians Ireland (ATI) Entry Requirements: Qualifications Leaving Certificatefive passes on ordinary level papers at Grade D or better, or four passes of which at least two are on higher level papers at Grade D or better.
Passes must be obtained in English and Mathematics. Applications will be considered from mature students (over 21) who do not meet the educational requirements. Students who have successfully completed Business Management QQI Level 6 may apply for an exemption to the Accounting Technician of Ireland.
NB. Progression into 2nd year: Students must have passed Taxation I, Financial Accounting 1 and at least one other subject before they can commence Year 2. Exam Registration It is the student’s responsibility to register directly with the Institute. Exam fees which are not included in the course fees are payable to the institute. Students are advised to contact ATI directly for examination costs. Accounting Technicians Ireland Tel: 01 649 8100 Students will receive a Certificate upon successful completion of Year 1. Students will receive a Diploma in Accounting Technician upon successful completion of Year 2 plus 2 years work experience.
- Start Date: Monday 16th September 2019 Tuesday 17th September 2019 **Wednesday 9th October 2019 (IAS) Business Management QQI Level 6 Tue 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 13 Weeks This module is designed to enable the learner to understand the role and function of management in a business environment and gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. This module can be taken as a stand-alone module or as one of the modules to achieve Level 6 QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985 Course Content:
- Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications
- Evaluate tools and techniques used in recruitment, selection and appraisal
- Design a procedure for a management process/ management skills
- Compile a report and evaluate the process Tuition Fee: €360 Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Business Management 6N4310 (6M4985) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Counselling Skills (Cork Education & Training Board (CETB) Mon 7.00-9.00pm
- Duration: 20 Weeks This is a foundation counselling course designed so that students develop an insight and appreciation of the process, theories and skills essential to counsellors. It is aimed at those who may be working in areas which require such skills, those who are interested in personal development work and considering undertaking a formal professional qualification. Students will be introduced to basic counselling skills, fundamental theories underpinning both counselling and psychotherapeutic practice. Theory is interwoven with practical applications intended to increase awareness of interpersonal communication, self-awareness and personal development. This course, however, DOES NOT lead to a professional qualification in counselling nor is it intended as a personal therapeutic course. Why not come along to our Open Night for an introductory meeting on Tuesday 10th September 2019 at 6.00pm. Tuition Fee: €240 Accreditation: Cork Education & Training Board Certificate (Cork ETB) Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES
- Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES Customer Service QQI level 5 Mon 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 12 Weeks The aim of this course is to provide students with a thorough training in customer care. It is suitable for those who are interested in improving customer relations as well as general administrative duties. This course may be delivered through a blended learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning to allow greater flexibility to learners who are either working full time or part time.
- Course Aims
- Apply the personal skills, qualities and attitudes required to perform effectively when dealing with customers.
- Handle a range of challenging situations,
- Demonstrate team or group work in providing customer care.
- Look at practical examples of organisations with good customer care and their success. Tuition Fee: €280 (including examination fee) Accreditation: QQI Level 5 Minor Award in Customer Service 5N0972 (5M2468) Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Digital Marketing QQI Level 5 Wed 6.30-8.30pm
- Duration: 20 Weeks This module is designed to provide learners with the skills necessary to create, implement, manage and monitor successful digital marketing campaigns and help you to choose appropriate e-tools to implement a digital marketing strategy. It will be of interest to marketers, managers, sales professionals, business start-ups and individuals with a keen interest in new marketing techniques who need to gain a greater understanding of how to use digital marketing tools.
- This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Course Content
- Help your business grow through digital marketing
- Evaluate the effectiveness of campaigns using analytical e-tools – including web analytics
- Learn how to use the web as a marketing medium
- Develop a customised digital marketing campaign to include the use of e-tools
- Create your own twitter account and how to build your twitter following
- Create your own Linkedin account and how to use it for Business accounts
- Blogging on Wordpress & Snapchat
- Managing Review sites Tuition Fee: €300 (Examination Fee included) Accreditation: QQI Level 5 Minor Award in Digital Marketing 5N1364 (5M1997) Start Date: Wednesday 2nd October 2019 9
- Employment Law QQI Level 6 Mon 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 13 Weeks The aim of this module is to evaluate the role of employment legislation and institutions in combating discrimination and harassment to promote equality in the workplace. Learn how to apply a comprehensive range of specialised skills and tools to the contract of employment for a range of employee categories/ scenarios including terms and conditions, pay and pension etc. This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Course Content:
- Understand collective bargaining and evaluate the role and function of labour relations institutions and trade unions.
- Employment rights to include discrimination
- Part-time and fixed term work
- Organisation of Working time, pensions, etc Tuition Fee: €360 (including examination fee) Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Employment Law 6N4322 (6M4985) Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Event Management QQI Level 6 Tue 7.00-9.00pm
- Duration: 22 Weeks This course aims to equip the learner with the skills and knowledge to competently devise, produce, manage and evaluate an event. It covers the essential components of an event’s plan to include the client’s objectives, time management, the profile of event audiences, venue search, budget, marketing, risk planning, event insurance, and contracts. This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Course Content:
- Produce an event plan document to include health and safety statement, venue floor plans, event contract, event presentation format etc.
- Manage an event or some specific aspect of an event ensuring appropriate supervision of staff and resource allocation.
- Design promotional tools for an event and implement project management skills in the design, planning and evaluation of an event. Tuition Fee: €380 (including examination fee) Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Event Management 6N4800 (6M5012) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 “Christine was an amazing and supportive teacher who made the classes very interesting and informative - I really enjoyed coming to classes even after a hard day at work - It was a brilliant experience and I would definitely recommend this class.” Kristina “I would like to write you a big THANK YOU ANNE for creating a great environment of enthusiasm for learning during our course of HRM level 6. I am grateful to have had you as a tutor, leading by example.” Claudia PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES 10
- 11 Human Resource Management QQI Level 6 Tue or Wed 6.30-9.00pm
- Duration: 23 weeks Human Resource Management is primarily concerned with the management of people within organizations, focusing on policies and systems. This programme aims to facilitate the learner in understanding the role of Human Resources management in a range of organisations This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Course Content:
- Generate appropriate recruitment and selection documentation to include job specification, person specification and marking sheets
- Devise an interview strategy for a vacancy to include the appropriate interview environment, panel and set of interview questions
- Understand training and development procedures in an organisation
- Evaluate good performance management and reward systems Tuition Fee: €440 (including examination fee) Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Human Resource Management 6N3750 (6M4587) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 OR Wednesday 2nd October 2019 Legal Practice & ProceduresQQI Level 5 Tue 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 13 weeks The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in legal practice and principles to enable the learner to appreciate the role of law. Progression: Solicitors, barristers, legal departments of government, the industrial and commercial sector amongst others, employ legal secretaries.
- This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Tuition Fee: €280 Accreditation: QQI Minor Award in Legal Practice & Procedures 5N1394 (5M2102) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Medical Terminology QQI Level 5 Tue 6.30-9.00pm
- Duration: 17 Weeks This module is designed to enable the learner to understand and recognise medical terminology specifically used in a GP surgery or dental practice. Course Content Learners will be able to:
- Examine a range of medical terminology required by a medical receptionist or secretary
- Describe the sources of information available to the medical receptionist or secretary
- Examine the importance of using correct medical terminology in communicating with patients and medical practitioners
- Apply medical pronunciation and spelling correctly Students will receive first hand experience of Socrates Software Medical Package.
- Tuition Fee: €320 (examination fee included) Accreditation: QQI Level 5 Minor Award in Medical Terminology 5N2428 (5M1997) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Medical Package Socrates Software Mon 6.30-8.30pm
- Duration: 4 Weeks Socrates is a Practice Management software package used by healthcare professional in GP practices and primary care centres. It allows users to manage every aspect of the surgery both from the administrative side to the clinical side. Students will see firsthand the benefits of this system and it will provide students with the skills and knowledge of the Socrates software. This course is ideal for students interested in working in the area of Medical Administration.
Tuition Fee: €80 Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 “It was such a pleasure to attend Mary’s class, she is a brilliant Tutor, very patient, engaging at all times and so efficient “ Elaine Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES
- Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie 12 Nursing Diploma in Health Services Management Wed 7.00-10.00pm
- Duration: 1 Year The Diploma in Health Services Management for Nurses is a professional programme, designed for those who wish to position themselves in more senior managerial posts within the Nursing and Health Services fields. Registered Nurses and Midwives will receive Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann post registration Category 1 approval. Course Content:
- Management in a Healthcare Setting
- Principles, theory, change management & application
- Career Management: Nursing Competence Management and Financial Management
- Risk Assessment and Clinical Audit. Stress Management
- Health Promotion Management
- Leadership Development & New Emerging Leadership behaviours This course is mainly lecture based with workshops and seminars given by health professionals to help develop personal skills. The assessment process consists of two coursework assignments carried out over the year of study.
- Entry Requirements: Qualifications It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that they have the relevant qualification for entry into the course. Applicants must be graduates of the Certificate in Management for Nursing Staff (VEC Certificate) or BSc in Nursing. Evidence of qualifications must be produced on the first night of class. Email email@example.com should you have a query regarding your qualification. Graduates of the programme will be able to
- Apply their practical knowledge to the disciplines of Management, Health Promotion, Financial and Personal Development
- Provide themselves with a sound educational framework for senior management positions and further study
- Develop personal skills in preparation for a changing work environment.
- Develop an understanding for their role in the delivery of healthcare in Ireland Tuition Fee: €580 Accreditation: Cork Education & Training Board Certificate (Cork ETB) Start Date: Wednesday 18th September 2019 *NB -Please write your Bord Altranais ID Number beside your name on the application form. Nursing Healthcare Regulation Tue 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 10 Weeks Health and social care Regulations and Standards, Quality, Safety and Risk Management for Nurses and Healthcare Workers This course is designed for Nurses, Midwives, Healthcare Workers, and PIC’s (Person’s in Charge of Health & Social care services) who wish to deliver a continuously high quality and safe service. The course will help you prepare for HIQA inspections and on-going compliance with the standards and regulations. Registered Nurses and Midwives will receive Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann post registration Category 1 approval.
- Course Content:
- Healthcare regulation & the Health Act 2007. Understanding the role of HIQA and the HIQA inspection process.
- Standards and best practice in health and social care
- What are effective Leadership, Governance and Management, roles & responsibilities of managers
- Staff motivation, developing a culture for continuous quality improvements, effective communications
- Health & safety and risk management in health and social services, the importance of auditing systems.
Tuition Fee: €310 Accreditation: Cork Education & Training Board Certificate (Cork ETB) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 “All the lectures were very interesting, and the subject areas very relevant to my work.
Overall I feel that my understanding of Healthcare regulation has increased immensely”. “Excellent course, it has really increased my confidence at a time that I needed it most” PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES
- Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES Project ManagementQQI Level 6 Wed 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 14 Weeks This module can be taken as a stand alone module or as one of the modules to achieve Level 6 QQI Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985. Course Content:
- Master the essential skills and tools of Project Management
- Examine the key principles and concepts underpinning project management theory and practice
- Investigate a range of approaches to project management to include tools and techniques used to plan, cost and manage a project
- Devise a risk analysis for a project to include the preparation of a contingency plan.
- This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Tuition Fee: €400 (including examination fee) Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Project Management 6N4090 (6M4985) Start Date: Wednesday 2nd October 2019 Reception & Frontline Office Skills QQI Level 5 Wed 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 12 weeks This programme is suitable for those who wish to equip themselves with the knowledge, skill and competence in the concepts and principles underpinning Reception and Frontline Office Skills.
- This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Appreciate the professional skills required by a receptionist to operate in a busy front line position
- Time-keeping, communications and dress code
- Customer Service Skills and dealing with complaints
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and approach to colleagues and clients
- Understand different systems, phones, emails, multi-tasking including the upkeep of visitor logbooks
- Apply a range of general administrative skills within the reception and/or front office context to include booking and preparing for conference, organising visitors waiting area, arranging appointments, preparing an itinerary, making reservations, providing information to visitors etc.
- Appreciate the importance of confidentiality in all business
- Learn to use a range of equipment used in a reception area Tuition Fee: €260 Accreditation: QQI Minor Award in Reception & Frontline Office 5N1407 (5M2468) Start Date: Wednesday 2nd October 2019 13
- Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES Retail DisplayQQI Level 5 Tue 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 13 weeks The aim of this course is to prepare learners for employment in retail display. Students will appreciate the importance of good presentation and merchandising skills and how to motivate people to purchase goods in the retail setting. The Retail Display course explores the psychology of buying, defining target markets, consumer / health & safety legislation, trends and predictions Past Graduates: Some of our graduates have become Visual Merchandisers with large department stores such as Harvey Norman, Smyths Toys, DFS.
- During the course, students will learn:
- How to identify different target markets
- To explore chosen themes for window display through spidergraphs, mood boards and retail displays board
- Develop and increase their power of observation / presentational skills
- Analysis of the impact of a range of factors on the design of a retail display
- Merchandising & Product positioning/placement on retail floor
- Selling skills & Customer motives
- Graphics, Colour, Lighting & Display techniques Tuition Fee: €310 (Examination fees are included) Accreditation: QQI Level 5 Minor Award in Retail Display 5N1861 (5M2105) Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Speech & Drama Diploma Year 1 (AVCM) Tue 7.00-10.00pm
- Duration: 1 Year Do you wish to be a better communicator and not be phased by doing presentations for work? Perhaps you are considering a change of direction in your career to become a teacher. Would you like to become a stronger performer for stage? Or would you like to gain more confidence in general. If so, this may be just the course for you.
- The AVCM diploma in Speech and Drama is a practice based course teaching you performance skills through creativity. This course is designed to introduce you to all aspects of theatre. Course Content:
- Theory of speech
- Mime & Voice improvisation
- Speech / poetry
- Musical theory and different aspects of stage craft
- Verse Speaking/Prose
- Drama Games
- Choral Speaking
- Musical Theatre
- Acting games Entry Requirements: Qualifications Leaving Certificate or GCSE English Literature or equivalent. Tuition Fee: €550 (Examination fees not included) Accreditation: Diploma from the Victoria College of Music, London.
Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Exam fees are payable to the Victoria College of Music, London 14
- 15 Speech & Drama Teaching Diploma Year 2 - (TDVCM) Mon 7:00-10:00pm
- Duration 1 Year Year 2 focuses on the skills of Teaching Speech & Drama or solo Acting. This is for students who are involved in theatre & Acting. Course Content:
- Speech & Drama Teaching Lesson plans
- Teacher in role
- Child protection policy & guidelines
- Class management
- Guidelines on productions & displays
- Solo Acting
- Introduction to Shakespeare
- Restoration of drama
- Modern Drama improvisation
- Devising a scene & understanding script writing
- Actor guidelines Entry requirements Candidates must pass VCM grade V of theory of speech or produce evidence of having passed GCSE English Literature or equivalent.
- Tuition Fee: €550 (Examination fees not included) Accreditation: Diploma in Solo Acting Victoria College of Music, London. Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Start your own Business QQI Level 5 Mon 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 13 weeks Need skills required to start a business and obtain the knowledge to understand the issues involved in doing so? This course will provide the student with real life experience of investigating and evaluating a business idea. This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Role and function of a Business Plan
- Examine the market for new product or service niches
- Understand the main types of legal structure required
- Budgets, cash flow and financial statements Tuition Fee: €260 Accreditation: QQI Minor Award in Start your own Business 5N1418 (5M2468) Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Supervisory Management Certificate QQI Level 6 & Cork Education & Training Board (CETB) Mon 6.30-9.00pm
- Duration: 23 weeks This dual certificate is designed to enable the learner to gain in-depth understanding of the skills that are required for Supervisory and Management positions. You will learn the key steps required to recruit staff to include, screening, application forms, short-listing and devise a system for maintaining workrelated records e.g. work rosters and maintenance schedules etc. You will also learn to train staff to carry out staff evaluation. There will also be a Practical Skills element in relation to Interviewing, Performance Appraisal and Carrying out Disciplinary Hearings.
- This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Course Content:
- Analysis and Decision Making
- Human Resource Management
- Management, Role of the Supervisor/Manager, Key functions of Management
- Employee Relations / Labour Legislation
- People dynamics in the work place
- Stress, Motivation and Success at work
- Supervisory Skills
- Team Building
- Group Dynamics Tuition Fee: €440 Accreditation: QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Supervisory Management 6N4329 (6M4587) and Cork Education & Training Board Certificate Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES NEW
10 DISCOUNT IF YOU ENROL ONLINE 16 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES NEW Team Leadership and Conflict Management (Having that Difficult Conversation) QQI Level 6 Want to be a successful Team Leader and overcome various challenges? This dual qualification, Team Leadership and Conflict Management provides the knowledge and skills to understand and manage conflict situations, either at work or in group situations providing a series of tools and techniques. It is very practical in nature and suited to any environment where conflict, anger and hostility are encountered either by telephone or in person.
- Course Content Team Leadership
- Identify your Leadership Style
- Roles and Responsibility of Team Leader
- Management Vs Leadership Conflict Management
- People management skills
- Skills of conflict management
- Resolving conflicts Modules: Team Leadership QQI Level 6 6N1948 Minor Award Certificate (15 credits) Conflict Management QQI Level 6 6N2775 This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based meetings and online learning - 8 Saturdays in total (4 classroom based) A high level of commitment is required. A full time table is available from firstname.lastname@example.org Tuition Fee: €800 Accreditation: Team Leadership QQI Level 6 6N1948 Minor Award Conflict Management QQI Level 6 6N2775 Minor Award Start Date: Saturday 14th September 2019 Tourism Principles & Practice QQI Level 5 Mon 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration: 12 weeks Aim of the Programme Module This programme module aims to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and competence to understand the fundamental principles and practice of national and international tourism and to appreciate the role of tourism in the Irish economy. It is intended to prepare the learner for employment or further training in the tourism sector.
- Course Content:
- Sectors which make up the modern tourism industry
- Types of tourism and their relevance in the tourist market
- Factors which influence the growth and development of tourism nationally & internationally
- The effects of tourism socially, economically, culturally and environmentally
- The main components of the Irish tourism product, including transport, accommodation, business and conference facilities
- Identify a range of major international and national tourist attractions
- Learn about tourist profiles and how they impact on tourist markets
- The roles of the main agencies involved in developing and promoting Irish tourism and hospitality
- The role of the individual employee in creating a positive image of Ireland, promoting tourism and providing general tourist information This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Tuition Fee: €280 Accreditation: QQI Level 5 Tourism Principles and Practice 5N2078 (5M5011) Start Date: Monday 30th September 2019
- 17 Training & Development QQI Level 6 Tue 6.30-9.30pm
- Duration 13 Weeks The Training & Development programme is suitable for candidates who wish to gain a professional qualification and is essential for anyone interested in becoming a successful trainer. It will increase your ability and confidence when preparing and delivering training programmes and give you the skills to train others effectively. Role of Trainer
- Devise a training plan based on prioritised training needs to include a cost benefit analysis.
- Conduct a training needs analysis to identify training and development needs.
- Theory of Training & Adult Learning
- Breakdown of Training Needs
- Preparing Training Delivery Module Module Name Code Time Duration Start Date Training Needs Identification and Design 6N3325 6.30- 9.30pm 13 weeks Tue. 17th September 2019 Training Delivery & Evaluation 6N3326 6.30- 9.30pm 13 weeks Tue. 14th January 2020 Tuition Fee: €550 when one enrols for above Level 6 modules together, or €300 per module Very Important: Please note these programmes are offered as stand-alone Minor Award modules. We strongly recommend that in order to become a competent trainer the candidate completes both of the above stand alone modules. This course is very intensive with a high level of commitment required. Students may be required to attend one Saturday This course is delivered through a flexible learning approach which is a combination of classroom based and online learning. Accreditation: QQI L6 Special Purpose Award 6S3372 Training & Development (On successful completion of one module, students will receive a component certificate) QQI Award QQI Level 5/6 are major awards made up of 8 modules leading to a nationally recognized qualification for those wishing to pursue a career in Business. Each module carries a value of 15 credits, giving a total of 120 credits for the full award. The following are the modules which may be offered In Cork College of Commerce (subject to sufficient numbers enrolling) QQI LEVEL 6 MAJOR AWARD 6M4985 Module Module Code Type of Module Business Management 6N4310 Compulsory Employment Law 6N4322 Optional Team Leadership 6N1948 Compulsory Conflict Management 6N2775 Optional Human Resource Management 6N3750 Optional Personal & Professional Development 6N1949 Optional Project Management 6N4090 Optional Work Experience 6N1946 Compulsory 2 modules from the following 3 may be used towards your award Supervisory Management 6N4329 Optional Training Delivery & Evaluation 6N3326 Optional Training Needs Identification and Design 6N3325 Optional QQI LEVEL 5 MAJOR AWARD 5M2102 Module Module Code Type of Module Book-Keeping Manual & Computerised 5N1354 Optional Business Administration 5N1610 Compulsory Business Law 5N2091 Optional Communications 5N0690 Compulsory Customer Service 5N0972 Compulsory Digital Marketing 5N1360 Optional Legal Practice & Procedures 5N1394 Optional Marketing Practice 5N1400 Compulsory Payroll Manual & Computerised 5N1546 Optional Safety & Health at Work 5N1794 Optional Spreadsheet Methods 5N1977 Optional Web Authoring 5N1910 Optional Work Experience 5N1356 Compulsory Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie PROFESSIONAL, BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT COURSES
- Repeat and improve their subject grade
- Sit specific subjects for the first time
- Extra tuition Subject Night Time Duration Cost Commencement Date Irish (Honours) Wednesday 5.30-8.30pm 1 Year €450 Wed. 2nd October 2019 Mathematics (Pass) Monday 6.00-9.00pm 1 Year €450 Mon. 30 September 2019 Care should be taken on enrolment that the subjects chosen do not clash on the Leaving Certificate exam timetable. Students wishing to sit Leaving Certificate Examinations in June 2020 should ensure they comply with the Regulations of the Department of Education and Science.
- It is the student’s responsibility to Register directly with the State Examinations Commission for their Leaving Certificate examination and fill out and return directly to the Department of Education (E10 form) which can be downloaded from the Department website. Special Requirements: If a student has special requirements, please contact the college before the end of November 2019. State Examinations Commissions: Tel: 090-6442703 090-6442890 Email: email@example.com Book Keeping and Accounts Wed 7.00-9.00pm
- Duration: 8 Weeks To enable the application of double entry bookkeeping, understanding of accounting concepts and appreciation of basic complete records. A knowledge of book-keeping and accounts is not required.
- This course is a good foundation course for students wishing to further their career in Accounting. Course Content:
- Double Entry Transactions
- Trial Balance
- Trading, Profit & Loss Account
- Balance Sheet
- Accruals & Prepayments
- Bank Reconciliations
- Cash Flow Budget
- Accounting Concepts Tuition Fee: €110 Start Date: Wednesday 2nd October 2019 Data Protection & GDPR: (How to get your Workplace in Order!) Tue 7.00-9.00pm
- Duration 4 weeks Do you know how to avoid data breaches, consequential fines and reputational damage?. This course has been developed in response to those significant changes in data protection legislation Attending this course is an absolute must for those that handle other peoples’ information as part of their job (i.e., business owners, managers, team leaders, voluntary committee members and employees).
Tuition Fee: €70 Start Date: Tuesday 1st October 2019 Night Classes 2019/2020 evening.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie LEAVING CERTIFICATE SUBJECTS BUSINESS (TERM COURSES) NEW