The GEMS way CV Booklet Trustees Elections
Page content transcription
If your browser does not render page correctly, please read the page content below
VOTING RULES, PROCEDURES AND CURRICULA VITAE 1. Only principal members of the Government Employees’ Medical Scheme (GEMS) that are active and in good standing as at the 1st of May 2019 are eligible to participate in the process of electing members of the Board of Trustees. Suspended members, as well as spouses, children and any other dependents are not allowed to vote. 2. The candidates’ summarised Curricula Vitae (biographies) and photos can be viewed in the attached CV Booklet. 3. A principal member is entitled to vote for no more than three candidates from the list appearing on the attached ballot paper. Should you wish to vote for fewer candidates, your vote will still be considered in the determination of the election outcome. Voting for more than three candidates will result in your vote being spoilt. 4. Every single vote matters in this election. In keeping with the registered Scheme Rules, the three (3) candidates who receive the most votes, in descending order, shall be appointed as Trustees. Members are encouraged to vote to ensure a Board of their choice. 5. The election process is independently managed by The Elexions Agency (Pty) Ltd. OPTION 1: 6. BALLOT PAPER VOTING RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS a. Only original ballot papers issued by the Returning Officer (The Elexions Agency (Pty) Ltd) may be used for voting. Providing other members with photocopies of the ballot paper sent to you is strictly prohibited as it is meant for YOU only! b. Members using the ballot paper will be required to comply with the instructions on the ballot paper. The instructions are as follows: i. Ballot papers must be marked using an ink pen, with a cross (x) inside the box opposite the name of the preferred candidate(s). ii. To authenticate a ballot paper, a principal member must complete his/her GEMS membership number and ID Number in the space provided on the last page of the ballot paper in the counterfoil / tear off section. Member information will be protected at all times. iii. Please do not tear off this section. It is for OFFICE USE ONLY. This counterfoil / tear-off slip will be removed by The Elexions Agency (Pty) Ltd before the counting of the votes to ensure the secrecy of each vote. iv. A Ballot Paper that is not duly completed will be disregarded in the determination of the election outcome. c. A self-addressed and postage paid return envelope (Ballot Envelope) has been provided with this voting package.
d. A marked ballot paper must be returned inside the provided Ballot Envelope, to The Returning Officer (The Elexions Agency (Pty) Ltd) on or before 17h00 on 20 July 2019. Ballot papers received after the closing date will be disregarded in the determination of the election outcome. e. Ballot papers may also be returned by: i. Depositing your ballot paper in the ballot box at any of the GEMS Walk-In Centres; ii. Emailing your scanned ballot paper to email@example.com; iii. Fax to 086 678 4123; or iv. Hand delivery to The Elexions Agency, 3rd Floor, 158 Jan Smuts Avenue, Rosebank, 2196. f. Ballot papers returned to any other address other than those supplied above will be disregarded. Do not send your ballot paper to firstname.lastname@example.org. g. If a member spoils or loses the Ballot Envelope, s/he must use any envelope and mail the sealed envelope together with the duly marked ballot paper to: The Returning Officer, GEMS 2019 Board of Trustees Election, P O Box 3318, Houghton 2041. h. Do not cut or damage your ballot paper. When folded, the ballot paper fits into the Ballot Envelope provided to you. OPTION 2: 7. ONLINE VOTING (WEBSITE) RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS. Website Voting: An email will be sent to you if we have your email address. Members that received an email can click on the link in their email and follow the instructions provided by doing the following: a. Enter your Username by typing in your ID Number, followed by your GEMS membership number which will be your Password, then b. Enter your Unique Ballot Paper Number in the field requesting your validating code. The unique Ballot Paper Number can be found in the email sent to you or ballot paper posted to you. c. This will give you access to the on-line voting platform where you will be able to view the biographies of all the candidates and the voting instructions. d. Once ready, you may click on “Vote” and choose no more than three candidates of your choice by clicking the names of the candidate(s) you wish to vote for, and e. Click “Submit” once you are satisfied with your choice. f. A confirmation will appear on the screen confirming that your vote has been successful. g. Should you enter incorrect details, the system will inform you accordingly and you will have to re-enter each number carefully and correctly. h. Members with smartphones may visit the GEMS website to view candidates and voting instructions at http://gems.gov.za/GEMSElections/candidates.
OPTION 3: 8. USSD Voting Instructions: Should you choose this option, you need to make sure that your smart ID card / green barcoded ID and GEMS membership card are in hand to ensure the correct numbers are used as per the steps below: a. With your ballot paper in hand, dial *130*471#. The following prompts will pop up your screen: i. “I have not received my Ballot Paper”; ii. “I have received a Ballot Paper”; b. Choosing i, “I have not received my Ballot Paper” will require the member to enter his/her GEMS Membership Number. This relates only to voting and NOT Scheme related queries. Once verified, an email will be sent to the Returning Officer to contact the member for assistance. Should you enter an incorrect Membership Number, an error message will appear wherein you will be required to “Retry” or “Exit”. c. When choosing ii, “I have received my Ballot Paper” you will follow the prompts below: i. Please enter your GEMS Membership Number, followed by your ID Number and lastly your Unique Ballot paper Number, found on the last page of your ballot paper number in the counterfoil slip area at the top right hand corner. ii. If the above numbers have been punched in correctly and authenticated, your next screen will be “Enter the candidate number for your first vote.” You will be required to “Confirm” or “Cancel”. iv. If “Confirm” is chosen and you want to vote for a second candidate, you will be required to choose “Cast another Vote” and follow the prompts until the exercise of voting for the three candidates is complete. v. Should you wish to vote for fewer than three candidates you can select “Exit” at any time. vi. In both steps iii and Iv above, you will receive a confirmation via SMS with a reference number. Should you try to vote for a fourth candidate, the following will appear on the screen “You have already cast your three votes. Thank you for participating in the GEMS 2019 BoT Elections”.
d. The USSD platform will be open at 12h00 midday on 21 May 2019 to 17h00 on 20 July, 2019. e. Once you have made your choice of candidate(s), fold your ballot paper twice, and f. The Electoral Officer will point you to the Ballot Box to deposit your duly marked ballot paper and exit the voting station. VOTE COUNTING AND RESULTS DECLARATION Ballot papers will be counted at The Elexions Agency identified venue and independently audited by Entsika Auditors appointed by GEMS. The on-line and USSD votes will be counted automatically as you vote. All the valid votes by means of the three voting options will be consolidated to produce an outcome THE ELECTION REPORT The Election Report and audit report will be submitted to the Board of Trustees of GEMS who will consider them. If the Board is satisfied that the election was in keeping with the registered Rules of GEMS: a. The Principal Officer of GEMS will notify the successful candidates in writing of the election outcome. b. The election results will be posted on the GEMS website and announced at the Annual General Meeting. VOTING ENDS AT 17H00 ON 20 JULY 2019 DISCLAIMER: GEMS has made provision for a voting period of 60 days for the receipt and return of mail to and from members, from 21 May to 20 July 2019. Should you not have received your email or postal pack, kindly contact the Elexions Agency urgently, visit www.gems.gov.za, or dial *130*471# as GEMS cannot be held responsible for delays in receiving your ballot via post.
1. BOOYSEN, Elton CURRENT POSITION: Emergency care technician shift leader POSITIONS HELD: E.M.S lecturer ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Emergency care technician REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To ensure that the funds contributed by members and government is allocated to illness concerning the members the most and what is relevant to them. To ensure that all unused funds be returned to members or rolled over to next calendar year.efits.
2. BRAND, Marthinus Cornelis CURRENT POSITION: Retired HPCSA OCP professional Board POSITIONS HELD: School Principal (President High School, Goodwood Cape Town) GEMS Board member 2007-2013 Member of the Health Professions Council of SA (HPCSA) PPB and OCP professional boards ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: BA Degree, HONS BA, BED (Education) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Medical schemes trusteeship (GEMS) experience, Member of the governance (Chairperson) and EX Gratia committees, Good leadership, managerial and administrative skills, Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), Financial Management experience REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To help establish GEMS as the prime medical scheme in South Africa. To ensure excellent and affordable healthcare for all members and their dependents, including our pensioners.
3. DE BEER, Sybrand CURRENT POSITION: School Principal at Brandvlei Primary School in the Northern Cape POSITIONS HELD: 32 years as school principal. 2010- 2013: Vice Chairperson of the Northern Cape SAOU. Member of the SAOU National Executive Committee 2013- 2019: Chairperson of the Northern Cape SAOU, Member of the National Executive 2005- 2011: Vice President of the Griquas Rugby Union; Director of the Professional Players as well as the Stadium company. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: 1978: Education Diploma at Wellington Onderwysers Kollege 1979: Higher Education Diploma at Wellington Teachers College 2010: Advanced Certificate in Teachers Leadership and Management at the University of Stellenbosch RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: 1995- 2000: Member of the Local Government, Chairperson of the Executive Committee, Chairperson of the Public Works, Chairperson of the Finance Committee. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I am due to retire on 30 April 2020 as a school principal and would like to be involved as a trustee to contribute to the GEMS members my experience as a leader and as a GEMS member challenges in the rural country side of South Africa.
4. DITHEJANE, Thekiso Maxwell POSITIONS HELD: Senior Administrative Officer (Office of the Premier North West) Communication Manager - Lekwa Taemane Local Municipality ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Matric, Certificate in Public Administration RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Served as a trustee at the SAMWU National Provident Fund with assets of about + R 2, 3 Billion.Served in Admin Committee and was very active in Union matters. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To be part of a collective, discharge duties in terms of applicable rules and laws governing the medical aid. To exercise care, good faith and responsibility in all activities of the board and the medical aid in general.
5. ESTERHUIZEN, Jacobus Marthinus CURRENT POSITION: Retired School Principal POSITIONS HELD: Retired school principal since 1 January 2019. Currently Vice President Kaapland Onderwys Trust. 2012-2013: Vice Chairperson of the Western Cape SAOU. Member of the SAOU National Executive Committee. 2013-2019: Chairperson of the Western cape SAOU. 2005-2019: Member Kaapland Onderwys Trust, member of the Western Cape Ministers Council for Education. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: 1979: Higher Diploma at Oudtshoorn Onderwysers Kollege 1980: Higher Education Diploma at Paarl Teachers College 1993: Advanced Certificate in Teachers Leadership and Management at UNISA REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I have been retired as school principal since January 2019. I would like to be involved as a trustee to contribute to the GEMS members. My experience as a leader and as a GEMS members challenges in the Western Cape.
6. GADA, Simphiwe CURRENT POSITION: Provincial Chairperson - DENOSA 2014 POSITIONS HELD: Serving second term 2018-2022 (as provincial chairperson) Professional nurse - Tembisa Tertiary Hospital ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Bcur (nursing) Honours Advanced certificate in Labour Relations Currently enrolled with UJ for Post Graduate Diploma - Labour Law RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Served as PEC member COSATU, Provincial chairperson at DENOSA 2014-2018, Served in advisory committee to MEC Gwen Ramokgopa on nursing education funding - Gauteng Health, Sound knowledge of health systems REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As a Provincial Chairperson of the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) I often listen to the concerns of members regarding GEMS and I always represent them, so I want to be involved in the governance of GEMS and help grow the scheme to serve its members while sticking to its founding principles.
7. GAMBU, Thabani CURRENT POSITION: District Manager: Environmental Services. POSITIONS HELD: Educator: Feb 2000 to March 2004 Environmental Officer: April 2004 to September 2006 Assistant Director (Environmental Services) October 2006 to September 2018 District Manager (Deputy Director); October 2018 to date ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Master of Philosophy (Environmental Management) Stellenbosch University B. PAED- University of Zululand B.A (Bible & Theology)- Global University (USA) Certificate in Project Management (UNISA) Certificate in Christian Counselling (UNISA) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Good Communication skills, Analytical thinking skills, Strategic leadership skills, Presentation Skills (Experience gained during teaching & current position), Sound Interpersonal & Conflict Management skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I want to contribute my leadership skills and experience in ensuring the smooth running of GEMS. My experience and that of colleagues in using the medical aid will come in handy during board meetings and will help guide the administration of the scheme especially revising packages for the benefit of members. As a strategic I’ll guide the strategic direction and provide leadership for a better GEMS.
8. KGAPHOLE, Dr Ntsile CURRENT POSITION: Pensioner POSITIONS HELD: General Practitioner Nebo District Surgeon Chief Director (District Health Services Limpopo Health) Head of Department (Limpopo Health) ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Matric (Setotolwane) MBCHB, (University of KZN) Executive Leadership Certificate (University of Limpopo) Certificate in PAIA RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Extensive experience in budget management (HOD and CD in health). As a general practitioner experience in challenges relating to claims with regard to members and GP’s behavior. Experience in how medical aid schemes operate. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As a member of GEMS and also a general practitioner, I feel my personal experience as a patient and also as a medical doctor will add value to the board. Secondly as a former Chief Director and head of department in Limpopo I will add value to the Management of GEMS at executive level.
9. KHUMALO, Precious Lebohang CURRENT POSITION: Operational Manager -OPD POSITIONS HELD: Regional Secretary DENOSA Provincial Coordinator - COSATU young workers PHC Clinical Nurse Specialist Research Nurse - WRHI ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Diploma in General, Community, Psychiatric Nursing & Midwifery Diploma in Clinical Assessment, Treatment & Diagnostic Advanced Project Management - UKZN Advanced Healthcare Management RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Administrative skills, operational management. Served as PEC of COSATU, CEC of DENOSA. PEC of YCLSA. Women Leadership Development, represented young workers of SA in ITUC - Senegal. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As a health professional and a regular user of health facilities and services there are a number of gaps identified particularly on administration of the scheme. My expertise may assist in growth of the scheme.
10. KRUGER, Jacobus Christoffel CURRENT POSITION: Deputy Director (Senior Policy Analyst) POSITIONS HELD: Chief Accounting Clerk, Senior Clerk, Senior Financial Administration Officer, Senior Accountant, Chief Financial Administration Officer, Deputy Director (Senior Budget Analyst), Board and Committee member on FASSET, Union Representative in National Treasury and REMCO member of the Public Servants Association of South Africa. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: M Tech: Business Administration, National Higher Diploma: Management Practices, National Diploma: Government Finance RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Very good research, analytic and report writing skills. Resilience with proven ability to work within a stressful environment. Planning and organising skills, and serving as union representative in National Treasury. Very good facilitation and presentation skills with very good communication and interpersonal skills. Serve as Board and Committee member on Financial & Accounting Services SETA (FASSET) REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: Members and their rights are paramount. GEMS board is to serve its members and I can add my skills and experience to help GEMS to maintain or even improve on its services to its members. My experience on the Board and Governance and Strategy Committee of FASSET has given me a very good understanding of both serving the clientele and the organisation. I have also been active for many years as union representative in National Treasury serving and assisting union members with labour matters and regularly petitioning the employer regarding the rights and interests of employees in the department.
11. LEGWABE, Stephen Maisela CURRENT POSITION: Human Resource Officer POSITIONS HELD: Administration Officer Scanning Clerk ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Grade 12 Diploma: Commerce Labour Relations (Incomplete) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Good governance Administration Communication REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I am actively participating in GEMS affairs as a member. The agenda item SC “GEMS Operating Model” in 2018 AGM was motivated by me. I have been SGB Chairperson of Bosmont Primary for two terms. I worked for GEMS SPN and understand its objectives and can contribute to its success.
12. MABITSELA, Shadrack McDonalD CURRENT POSITION: Principal Personnel Officer ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Matric Grade 12 Currently studying Diploma in Management majoring in HRM RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Administration of IOD claims; payments of accounts of IOD Processing of IOD reopening claims REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To be a representative of the working members. To be Involved in the decision making of the scheme. To be a link between the scheme and members To be the voice of the workers who are contributing members of the scheme by actively engaging with the employer to play its part and contribute meaningfully.
13. MADONSELA, Mandla CURRENT POSITION: Professional Nurse POSITIONS HELD: Chairperson of school governing body Shopsteward in hospital union Registered nurse at Clinic Shift in Medi-Clinic as a professional nurse ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Grade 12: 1994- Inkomazi High School Enrolled nurse 1996-1998- Shongwe nursing school Registered nurse 2007- Netcare nursing education Health and safety- Oxbridge academy 2016 RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Health & safety skills, Nursing care skills, Integrated childhood illness and immunisations, Dispensing skills Human immune virus skills and circumcision REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To be able to broaden the spectrum goals of GEMS to greater heights. To help the members of GEMS to understand what is GEMS all about in all areas. To better members of GEMS to receive quality best care in all health facilities without limitations at hundred percent hospitalization without paying extras to the practitioners should be guaranteed.
14. MAHLANGU, Jonas Koos CURRENT POSITION: Corporate Services Director POSITIONS HELD: Director, ICT (DIRCO) Senior IT Manager, (AMSCO- UNDP) ASD (IT) SAQA ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Masters in Diplomacy Law & Business (JINDAL - INDIA) CIO Practice certificate (WITS) PDM (WITS Business school) BSC (Maths) UWC Diplomacy RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: IT Systems management (strategy) Risk & Audit management Corporate Governance REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As an experienced IT professional, I will help the board with IT governance, including systems (New) development & strategy. I was an audit committee members for a provincial government. I will add value to the board, I also have international experience in economic diplomacy.
15. MAJATLADI, Patronella P Pulane CURRENT POSITION: Pensioner POSITIONS HELD: Head of Department, Deputy principal and Acting principal Secretary of School governing body (1998-2000) Registration Officer and Presiding Officer of IEC (1999-2014) Panelist of P.I 1 and P.I 2 interviews at Boingotlo MS ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: MED (2007) ACE 2013 PTC (1978) BED (1998) BA (1990) Certificate in Labour Relations (2009) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Member of the school Management team as a Head of department. Deputy Principal and Acting principal. Member of the School Governing body as Secretary and as Ex Officio member when was acting principal. Registration Officer and Presiding Officer at IEC REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To enable me to render valuable service to GEMS members. To represent GEMS members interest in accessing comprehensive health care services. To be respectful to all stakeholders at all times. To be a member of a team that is diligent, responsible, accountable and trustworthy to the member.
16. MAKHAFANE, Patrick CURRENT POSITION: Senior provisioning admin clerk POSITIONS HELD: Laundry aid; switchboard operator Trade Union: shop steward (2005) Regional Secretary (2006 to April 2013) Provincial Secretary: May 2013 to date ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Grade 12 / Matric certification Labour relations management certificate RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: General administration Labour relations REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To represent the views and aspirations of fellow GEMS members and union members from COSATU. To contribute to further strengthening , development and advancement of GEMS for purposes of client satisfaction.
17. MANANA, Mbuyisa Mondli CURRENT POSITION: Assistant Director : financial control and planning POSITIONS HELD: State Accountant - Office of the Chief Justice Senior Accounting Clerk - SAPS Gauteng (PHO) Skills Development Committee (DRT), DRT Labour Forum Gauteng PSA GPSSBC member ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Senior certificate 2004 Bachelor in accounting 2010 RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Financial control and reporting Human resource governance in an organisation Committed to preparing for meetings and attending regularly I advocate for good and sustainable corporate governance Ethical and thought leadership REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To ensure a board that is focused on members needs and seeks to ensure that above all it is a good quality and affordable to employees of the government. I have had many medical bills calls and SMS that have been a nightmare. I endevour to ensure GEMS members and beneficiaries are happy and satisfied.
18. MANKGE, Lekgema Joel CURRENT POSITION: Acting Deputy Director: Risk Management POSITIONS HELD: Assistant Director: Risk Management: Limpopo Department of Education Principal: Lediitse Primary School Secretary YMG: Methodist church Sekhukhune circuit. Chairperson: NEHAWU branch: Limpopo department of education head office ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Honours Degree in education Law & Management systems. Diploma in Forensic and Investigative Auditing Diploma in Practical Labour Law Advanced Management Development Program certificate. Labour Law/Relations Management certificate. RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Negotiations, information sharing and consultation skills. Investigation and report writing skills Leadership and people management skills Financial and Resource Management skills Research and Policy development skills. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To enhance a culture of consultation, accountability and report back mechanism within the scheme. To ensure transparency about financial commitments of the scheme. To enhance membership satisfaction with regard to the scheme benefits
19. MASHEGO, Adelaide Livian CURRENT POSITION: Educator (School Head) POSITIONS HELD: Principal Treasurer SADTU 2010-2018 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Secondary Teachers Diploma Advanced Certificate in Education Management Principal Management Diploma RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Management skills Computer skills Interpersonal Skills Communication skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: People in the rural areas especially in Mpumalanga are GEMS members and they don’t know where to go to access GEMS offices because offices are only in Nelspruit. People of Bushbuckridge, Hazyview, Sabie, Hlabekisa, Mkhuhlu need an accessible office I think I can help in that regard.
20. MBUTHO, Angeline Hlengekile CURRENT POSITION: Administration Clerk POSITIONS HELD: Supply Chain Management Practitioner Supply Officer Patient Administration Clerk ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: B-Tech in Public Management Diploma in Public Administration and Management Programme in Public Procurement and Supply Management Advanced Programme in Sourcing and Supplying Management RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Communication Skills Conflict Resolution Skills Computer Skills Interrelation Skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I need to be part of the decisions taken in the scheme and also contribute in combating fraud and corruption which lead to disturbing the right functioning of the scheme.
21. MEMA, Nomfundo Benedicta CURRENT POSITION: Senior Admin Clerk POSITIONS HELD: Financial Advisor at Metropolitan life Team leader at legal wise Estate agent at Remax/ABM real estates ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Senior certificate 1992 National Diploma in Management 1996 Personal Computing 2005 RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Leadership skills Effective communication skills Financial skills People management skills Negotiation skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To be more involved in the scheme that I’m also part of. To be able to address issues of dissatisfaction by members in order to uplift the services we give out to the members. Happy members means more & more prospective clients will join the scheme.
22. MKHIZE, Malibongwe Mbuzeni CURRENT POSITION: Administrative Professional POSITIONS HELD: SAC CEO TTT member ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Matric Advanced Computer Certificate Financial Management Certificate Business Administration RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Senior Administration officer KZN department of Education Shopsteward (PSA) Founder and Chief Executive Officer of SACA KZN HRDC Technical Task Team Member SAQA Technical Task Team member REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I am passionate to work for my medical aid scheme and to represent other GEMS members and become their voice. To be acquainted with pertinent information and I’m heartfelt to assist members who are distant from GEMS offices. To be a rightful asset in terms of determining the options and benefits.
23. MLONYENI, Amos Samuel CURRENT POSITION: Principal (Legae I. School) POSITIONS HELD: SGB Chairperson Deputy Principal Education Convenor (SADTU) Education Committee member (PSA: Province) ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: SPTD, (KCE); BA (Vista University) BED (Hons) UFS; B Tech: Transportation (UJ) TMD (R.A.U) ACE leadership & Management (UFS) FDE (Remedial) (R.A.U) Programme in Public Procurement and Supply Management (UNISA) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Communication Leadership and Management Supply Chain Management skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To promote good governance in the Scheme. To provide diligent oversight in the scheme administration and management To make sure the members of GEMS and their interests are taken care of by GEMS. To enhance accountability and transparency.
24. MOELA, Kgomotso Callie CURRENT POSITION: Assistant Director: Human Resources Management POSITIONS HELD: Senior Human Resources Practitioner Senior Human Resources Officer Chairperson of PSA DAFF national structure Chairperson of PSA DAFF Western Cape structure Member of the DAFF DBC ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: National Diploma: Human Resources Management Certificate: Financial Management Certificate: Time Management RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Financial Skills Time management Negotiation skills Problem solving REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: Taking the plight and struggles of employees. Highlighting the members’ unhappiness with GEMS. Ensure that GEMS changes and turns to be a scheme that all government employees will want to belong to. To see that GEMS turns and treat all its members the right way.
25. MOTSHWANE, Lindiwe Martha CURRENT POSITION: SADTU National Treasurer POSITIONS HELD: Trustee- SADTU investment Trust Chairperson- SADTU Investment Holdings Councilor- South African Council for Educators Accounting Authority member - ETDP SETA ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Secondary Teachers Diploma (Elijah Mango College) Advanced Certificate in Education (University of Pretoria) Diploma in Labour Law (NMU) Basic Financial Life skills (UNISA) Principles of Economics, Finance and Investment (WITS) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Governance and administration skills, Financial skills Negotiation skills, Project Management skills Stakeholder and organizational skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As an active member of GEMS, I would like to enhance the governance prowess of the scheme through my experience and expertise on governance matters. My financial capabilities will assist GEMS to take sound financial decisions for the benefit of all stakeholders.
26. NAIDOO, DR Anthony CURRENT POSITION: Senior Manager -Strategic Benchmarking & Planning POSITIONS HELD: GPG: Gauteng Department of Education - GCRA. Head of HRD & HIV/AIDS Provincial Socio Economic Initiatives(CSIR/Govt Gauteng Economic blue IQ initiatives). Management Accountant for Toyota SA. Senior Production MGR HRM. Change Management Interventions External Examiner for PHD’s at University of Pretoria. Political leadership within communities. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: PHD in Business Economics & Human Sciences (TUKS Cum Laude). Masters in Business Administration Cardiff- University of Wales. Labour Law Diploma - University of Howard College. Masters in Business Finance (University of KZN). Business Administration Degree (University of KZN) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Strategic HRM Planning & Interventions in health care HIV/AIDS Projects roll out Strategic Business player within Toyomed Medical Scheme & GEMS trustee. Transformational leadership in medical financial modelling & Trustee packages. Participation on various medical feasibility studies & researches. Strategic negotiator with unions & stakeholders to protect “quality of life “supports. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: Ex trustee of GEMS to further the support on cost reduction on medical employee contributions & influence DPSA’s increased subsidies. Conducting feasibilities in medical studies for quality medical products options & influence new policies and procedures Protect the members interest for “ value for money” services and fees. Influence zero payments for medical payments becoming a members apart of total salary package incentives.
27. NKADIMENG (MALATA), Tlakale Cheryl CURRENT POSITION: Director Employee Health & Wellness POSITIONS HELD: Manager Employee Health & Wellness program department of Safety, Security & Liaison from 2006 to 2016 February, then Joined office the premier as Director EHWP from February 2016 to date. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Masters Employee Health & Wellness Program Honours Political Science BA Matric EAP, HIV/AIDS & Gender main streaming certificates RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Facilitation, Training of life skills programme Coordination, presentation, organising Counselling, Community Builder Project Management, leadership role Policy development REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I have been an ambassador for GEMS and a loyal GEMS member since 2006 to date. An ambassador conducting and coordinating GEMS services for my employers employee health and wellness programme, by advocating and facilitating EHCOP, health screening and testing utilising GEMS free services for our Limpopo provincial employees.
28. NTSHANE, Nkobane Constence CURRENT POSITION: Deputy Director: Employee Health & Wellness Programme POSITIONS HELD: Assistant Director: Employee Health & Wellness program. Center Manager: Mthimkhulu center for the Aged Social Worker ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: BA Honours: Social Work Certificate: Employee Assistance Programme Certificate: Employee Wellness programme Certificate: HIV AIDS in the workplace Certificate: Gender Excellence RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Networking stakeholder relations skills Project Management skills Communication Skills Advocacy skills Analytical Skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I am a GEMS member and have been a member since the inception of the scheme. I was awarded an award by GEMS as being a key stakeholder in the Mpumalanga province. I believe that through my skills, GEMS can be able to improve on challenges and increase on its membership. I support its vision and mandate and do open doors and partner with it on many occasions.
29. NZAMA, Adv Elliot Kumakwakhe CURRENT POSITION: Retired in January 2018 POSITIONS HELD: Admin Clerk-1982 to 1984 Senior Admin clerk-1984 to 1989 Admin Officer 1989 to 1997 Senior Admin Officer 1987 to 2002 Assistant Director (Level 10) Court Manager 2002 to Jan 2018 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Diploma in State Finance Auditing (UniZulu) B Admin (UNISA) Practicing Advocate LLB (UNISA) Member of the National Bar Council of South Africa RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Leadership. Team work. Conciliation and Arbitration Problem Solving. Negotiation, Numeracy, Computer literacy REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: To contribute to providing strategic direction of GEMS to oversee the implementation of the strategic plan by GEMS management and to oversee risk Management.
30. RAMMUTLA (MOKGATLE), Ntetlang Thelma CURRENT POSITION: IQMS Co-ordinator POSITIONS HELD: Departmental head for BCM subjects (Acting) Full time Shop steward for teachers union NAPTOSA Teacher. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: B. Tech Human Resources Development ND Human Resources Management Diploma in Education (Further) Certificate in End user computing Programme in presenting a case in statutory conciliation and arbitration. RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Negotiating and presentation skills. Financial skills. Serving in sub-committees (Audit Committee). Served as a Board member for COMMED (2006-2012) Computer skills; Ms word, Excel and Power point REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: As a principal member I think there is a need for me to participate in the decision making pertaining to : Management of the Scheme for the benefit of members. Ensuring that the Scheme is in a healthy financial status (liquidity ratio) as per requirements by the CMS. Above all represent the members who cannot speak for themselves by taking informed decisions regarding premiums and benefits; ensuring that there is value for money payable by principal members.
31. RAMUKHITHI, Ambani Prince CURRENT POSITION: Paramedic (Emergency care Officer) POSITIONS HELD: Office Bearer of PSA union (The biggest union in the public sector) Negotiator in the bargaining chamber (PHSDSBC) ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Senior Certificate Intermediate life support & Certificate (Paramedic) Basic medical rescue certificate RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Labour Relations skills Negotiation skills Secretary of PSA Union provincial committee Communication skills REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: My aim is to assist in growing the medical scheme for the benefit of our people. And to make sure that GEMS keeps on providing (Financial ) support- medical to its members, and finally to continue marketing GEMS to all government employees.
32. SMIT, DR F J (Johan) CURRENT POSITION: Pensioner POSITIONS HELD: Dentist. Regional Head. Deputy Director. Senior Manager Chief Dental Officer (CDO) of South Africa Management positions in the national department of health (NDOH) for 31 years. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: BCHD (Dentist) UP Undergraduate DTVG (Dental Public Health) UP Post Graduate DGA (Public Health Administration) UP Post Graduate All 2 qualifications registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Senior Manager in Public health for 31 years especially Dentistry. CDO for 25 years. Served on Medicines Control council and SA Dental Technicians Council (Treasurer) Served on State Tender Board (7 years). Chaired Bid adjudication committee in NDOH Served on NDOH Finance committee and disciplinary committee in NDOH. Currently serving on dental, assisting dental therapy and oral hygiene board of HPCSA. Currently serving Allied Health Professions Council, chair finance committee and member of Professional Board of Chiropractors and Osteopaths. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: With my extensive knowledge and wealth of experience in the health sector I will serve the GEMS board of trustees with great pride. One lesson from Einstein was “knowledge comes from experience, information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience”.
33. TOPP, Pieter CURRENT POSITION: Member POSITIONS HELD: Matric ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: BA Degree, HONS BA, BED (Education) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Service as hospital board member for 3 years Chairperson: Substance abuse social development Presiding Officer: 2006 Local Government elections National Executive member of PAWUSA (Union) Deputy Chairperson victim empowerment programme REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I have administrative experience and excellent leadership skills that I would like to put to use for your company. I am confident that I have the skills and experience to hold this position and to be a great benefit to your company.
34. UBISI, Dr Peter General CURRENT POSITION: Medical Officer Grade 2 POSITIONS HELD: Medical Officer Grade 1 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: MBCHB RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Medical Officer for almost 5 years Currently a Board member at Senator Park Estate Intern/ Curator where we come up with rules of bylaws Acting HOD in Anesthesia department for interns REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: My medical knowledge and exposure to medical aids challenges will assist GEMS in growing our membership as many GEMS members are currently leaving to join other medical aids. i want to represent mostly the members whom are forgotten in terms of information. I wish to assist on how to decrease or reduce the time spent on call centers.
35. VUMASE, Party Mmeliwezwe CURRENT POSITION: Principal POSITIONS HELD: Departmental Head (Esibonisweni Primary) Principal (Ikhwezi Primary) ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: SSTD (Senior Secondary Teachers Diploma) B Paed (Bachelor Paedamonia) Advance certificate in education (leadership and management) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Effective communication skills Public speaking Fundraising skills Web page designer Project management REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: Willingness to learn is one thing that motivates me so much. Think I can serve better since I am decisive. I am also good at conflict management. Human resource and computer literacy is my main reason behind this.
36. WAHL, Kotze von Strelitz (Streis) CURRENT POSITION: Pensioner POSITIONS HELD: School principal 28 years, last is at H.S Andrew Rabie in Port Elizabeth Chairman SAOU- Eastern Cape for 8 years One of first Councillors of SACE - NR 37 After retirement- Mentor for ECED school & facilitator for private college. Trustee Kaapland Onderwys Trust & Director of Share Block Co. ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: B. Comm (US) MED (UPE) gifted child education RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: Was negotiator for SAOU at Eastern Cape ELRC. Am still Director & Trustee. Is Facilitator in AAT Qualifications- Accounting & Costing. Was mentor for under performing schools. I am a good negotiator. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: I want to apply my energy and perseverance to help keep GEMS the best administered medical aid in the R.S.A for the benefit of all members.
37. WELGEMOED, Salmina Catharina CURRENT POSITION: Chief accounting clerk department of Defence. POSITIONS HELD: Chairperson PSA Departmental Branch ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS: Diploma Management (2009) Grade 12 (1986) RELEVANT SKILLS/EXPERIENCE: My 30 years’ experience in the department of Defence finance division. 20 years working experience with all medical schemes’ administration and deduction including GEMS. Being a member of GEMS for the last 12 years gives me the skills and experience to assist members on any medical aid actions. Using my skill to study and understand all different GEMS plans so that members received correct information from me. REASONS FOR WANTING TO BECOME A TRUSTEE: My reason for becoming a trustee is to make sure members are represented on the board to be their voice. Making sure that the fund is accountable to its members. Making sure that the fund complies with it’s financial, legal and ethical obligations. I will help educate members on fraud, abuse of benefits and all forms of corrupt practices in the medical industry. I am a hard worker and fast learner so I will undoubtedly add value to the board of trustee
YOUR VOTE IS YOUR SECRET! ENSURE A BOARD OF YOUR CHOICE BY PARTICIPATING IN THESE ELECTIONS!
ELECTION ENQUIRIES Members must direct all their elections related queries to: The Returning Officer at The Elexions Agency by using the following: Shared Call: 010 880 4788 Email: email@example.com Fax: 086 678 4123 Address: P.O. Box 3318, Houghton, 2041 WARNING! Election fraud may lead to the termination of your membership from the Scheme.
You can also read
NEXT SLIDES ... Cancel